Off the beaten path eateries

All about Uzbekistan.
Fuller

Off the beaten path eateries

Postby Fuller » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm

My fiancé and I are travelling around Uzbekistan next week (2 X nights each in Tashkent, Samarkand and Bukhara) and are interested to try out some local eateries. Whilst guide books, blogs, this site etc have been great, we're interested to know if anyone can recommend some back street gems, the sort of place that won't have a website and will preferably do local beers and vodka. We both speak a very small amount of Russian and have iron stomachs so don't hold back. Any help appreciated!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Off the beaten path eateries

Postby steven » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:16 am

You really don't have to look far. They are everywhere, all offering the same 3 dishes. Bazaars are a great place to look, otherwise, anywhere out of the tourist center it's going to be easy to find.

They are not gems though. Never found a gem.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Lovetheworld

Postby Lovetheworld » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:53 am

Well, I think Central Asia in general is a good test scenario for your iron stomach.

We were not so impressed with what we saw, and we did like the food and atmosphere from the good restaurants, which is usually cheap too.
0 x

Fuller

Postby Fuller » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Lovetheworld wrote:Well, I think Central Asia in general is a good test scenario for your iron stomach.

We were not so impressed with what we saw, and we did like the food and atmosphere from the good restaurants, which is usually cheap too.

Let's see!

Thanks for the advice. Is it generally easy to get a beer from places too? I presume the lines are blurred between restaurant/bar/cafe?

Cheers.
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Milad » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Many of the eateries you find at bazaars and similar places will not sell alcohol, but nevertheless, it is not hard to find a place selling beer as well. Good restaurants (which are still not expensive) usually have alcohol.
0 x