Getting money at the Tashkent airport - arriving 3AM

All about Uzbekistan.
jacob857

Getting money at the Tashkent airport - arriving 3AM

Postby jacob857 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:33 pm

Hello everyone!

As in the topic, I arrive in Tashkent next week in the middle of the night (~3AM). What's the best way to get soms at that time, to be able to pay for the taxi and the first night at the hotel?

- are there any money exchanges offices open at that time at the airport?
- or should I rather use an ATM in the airport to withdraw the money (as far as I've read there's at least one ATM accepting VISA cards; does it work 24/7?)

Thanks in advance.
0 x

henrytn

Re: Getting money at the Tashkent airport - arriving 3AM

Postby henrytn » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:15 am

Exchange office is open 24/7 in both arrival & departure halls. I just came back from Uzbekistan 2 days ago so pretty sure the info is valid.
2 x

blakep76

Postby blakep76 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:00 am

Agree.... The money changer is open 24/7...just be aware though that it closes random hours for "technical upgrades" i.e workers needing to take a shit. The airport guys are stricter also than banks and money changers elsewhere as far as the quality of the $ you are trying to change, so make sure your notes are pristine.
2 x

Fuller

Postby Fuller » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 pm

We tried the ATM in the middle of the night (no sign of the exchange) and unfortunately it was out of cash!

Another option, you could check to see if your host/hotel etc is willing to cover the cost and add it to your final bill. We did this on Tashkent after asking in advance and it was not an issue as we were paying in cash for our stay anyway.
3 x

blakep76

Postby blakep76 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 am

You can certainly just pay your first few expenses in $ if you need, book a taxi through the tourist information counter who will take both currencies, hotels will definitely take USD, and can give change in som if you prefer. Once you are downtown there are banks everywhere to change cash.
But really you will be fine. I arrived at TAS last month at 3:30am and the airport was buzzing. Flights arriving from all over the place - Istanbul, Beijing, Dushanbe etc. All the shops, duty free, money changers etc were open.
*If* you are unlucky enough to catch a time when the moneychanger is on a break you can leave the arrivals terminal building, walk 50 meters or so to the left, head up the escalator and into the departures building - there's another one in there. "Bank? Bank?" People will understand and point you in the right direction.

*edit - the moneychanger in the arrivals terminal is in the row of immigration booths at the far end. Perhaps not where most people would expect to see it, so keep your eyes open.
1 x

netllama

Postby netllama » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:13 am

Fuller wrote:We tried the ATM in the middle of the night (no sign of the exchange) and unfortunately it was out of cash!

The exchange booth is before immigration. The ATMs never seem to have cash (or work) in the airport.
0 x

jacob857

Postby jacob857 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Thx for all the info, finally when I arrived I was quite tired (especially after waiting long time for my luggage -- Uzbeks arriving from Dubai have a lot of baggages :)) and just paid taxi with USD. From my experience virtually everyone in Uzbekistan seems happy to get paid in USD instead of UZS, probably due to inflation of UZS. In one or two hostels we even paid in EUR.

I have one more feedback regarding this piece of information regarding departures terminal:

https://caravanistan.com/uzbekistan/cen ... t/airport/
Once past security in the duty-free zone, only dollar is accepted.

To my surprise, in the main duty free store all prices were in EUR, not USD (I didn't buy anything there though).
Same in a small store with beverages; prices were in EUR, but I managed to get water and some other drink by paying in UZS.
1 x