Fortresses near Khiva

All about Uzbekistan.
FRT15

Fortresses near Khiva

Post by FRT15 »

How do the ancient fortresses around Khiva ( Ayaz Kala, etc.) compare to that of Merv? I realize Merv was once a lot larger but overall is there a similarity? I am trying to decide if it is worth the time getting to Merv or just experiencing some of the fortresses near Khiva to save time. Thanks for the input.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Fortresses near Khiva

Post by steven »

In terms of what you can see, as someone who is not an archaeologist, sure, it's the same. Ancient ruins and dig sites are always the same.

The scale is of course incomparable - there were a million people living in Merv. Sultan Sanjar's mausoleum is something unique, but you will have seen similar things in Samarkand and Bukhara, and in Konye-Urgench (I assume you are debating which route to take through Turkmenistan).

I recommend the central route. Konye-Urgench is more interesting than Merv, visually, it's also really big, and then you can continue south to the crater and Ashgabat.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

FRT15

Re: Fortresses near Khiva

Post by FRT15 »

Hi Steven, thanks for the input. You are correct in that I am trying to determine a route through Turkmenistan. I plan to fly into Ashgabat and then either go to Merv and Turkmenabat or do Ashgabat to Darvaza to Kunye and on to Khiva. I hate to leave out Merv but like the idea of the Central route which would then allow me to see Khiva, hich I have not seen yet.
0 x