Uzbekistan travel restrictions/reopening Q&A

All about Uzbekistan.
Jealgu

Re: Uzbekistan travel restrictions/reopening Q&A

Post by Jealgu »

Don't know if Caravanistan readers know about daily bankrupt on youtube, but he is filming in Uzbekistan now. Just uploaded a video where he travels from Tashkent to Bukhara on his secondary channel Daily Bald. His videos will give a impression about travelling in Uzbekistan.

https://youtu.be/xEYMaL6-3ls
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Jealgu wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:11 pm
Don't know if Caravanistan readers know about daily bankrupt on youtube, but he is filming in Uzbekistan now. Just uploaded a video where he travels from Tashkent to Bukhara on his secondary channel Daily Bald. His videos will give a impression about travelling in Uzbekistan.

https://youtu.be/xEYMaL6-3ls
This man is a serial rapist. He raped a woman in Belarus and he got free on a technicality for a rape charge in the UK. When he's not raping, he's just a general expat sexual predator of poor women in poor countries. And then there are his political views, which I can't imagine are shared by anybody outside of the "white nationalists who like Asian women" demographic. Google will answer any further questions you have...
2 x

asgerd

Post by asgerd »

Hello all. I crossed Kyrg-Uz at Dostyk on 21 Mar and came back that way today (Uz-Kyrg on 31 Mar), so here's a report (cross-posted from the Kyrg thread) on that. My passport is Canadian and I have a current multiple-entry work visa for Kyrgyzstan. I flew into Bishkek on about 18 Feb for work, with a fresh PCR test in hand, and having the correct documents from my employer got the work visa at the airport.

I've had 10 days off so I went to Uzbekistan. There are ways of getting a PCR test in Osh but on the advice of an agent, I took my test at the border. Crossed on foot at Osh on a wet Sunday morning (21 Mar), all very quiet, was stamped out of Kyrg, walked through the rain and just before the Uz side was asked if I had a recent test. Those who do go through, and those who don't get a new "PCR test". I've had enough of them to know that this was not a real PCR test; conditions were not sterile and it cannot be done in (no exaggeration) 5 minutes. Cost was 140,000 UZS. So 5.5 minutes later I was on my way. Stamped through into Uz and the only delay was because the border agent didn't know whether Canadians need visas (we don't) and then the final guard at the gate insisted that I did. We sorted that out.

I had a pre-arranged ride to Tashkent and subsequently got trains to Samarkand and Bukhara - all quite normal and mostly open although obviously some tourist services are shut or gone for good, for lack of business. Most of the main sites were open, but not all. Quite busy in both places with local visitors because it was Nowruz week.

Coming back today was more difficult. You do still need a PCR test to re-enter Kyrg and while I was told that it might be waived at the border for a consideration, I didn't want to risk it so I got one done in Tashkent on the way back. The US Embassy site lists several places and I did mine at Shox medical centre, about 350,000 UZS and I could give the sample late afternoon and collect it at 10am the next day, which I did. Got the train to Andijan this morning and straight into a shared taxi to Dostyk. So far so good.

At the border, it was really busy. A random gold-toothed woman asked if I had a test and seemed to want to sell me one. I join the unhealthy crush at the first gate, where the guard was shouting at and actually shoving everyone to get back... so still crammed together but a bit further back. That was just to see we had passports. Stamped out of Uz and the next crush was to check for the PCR tests before entering Kyrg and the QR codes on them, if any, were being scanned for authenticity. Glad to see this and mine was fine but many Kyrg/Uz people with results documents that all looked like they came from the same place were turned back. I wonder if they came from the gold-toothed lady and also if this checking of QR codes is a new thing, as my test results 6 weeks ago were not checked in Bishkek and I thought then how easy it would be to forge them.

Then a crush for the Kyrg border agents. They're always quite friendly but mine told me immediately that Canadians couldn't enter - which is technically true as Canada is not on the current list (for Dostyk - I think flying is still fine), but I talked him round thanks to my work visa, and he called someone to check. I'm not sure I'd want to risk that again though.

I was masked throughout the 10 days and many others there are too, more so than in Osh: mandatory on the metro in Tashkent, optional elsewhere it seems but people are masking up inside and on the street, temps taken sometimes, sanitisers available... just standing a bit too close for my comfort. My anecdotal experience is that many (in both Uz and Kyrg) think it's basically finished here and it certainly does not seem to be rampant right now, but there is a new anxiety creeping in.
6 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Excellent report!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

nomiiiii

Post by nomiiiii »

On a US passport, I'm applying for an Uzbek single-entry e-visa on https://e-visa.gov.uz/

Filled out form, uploaded pics, got email with activation code.

But using that code, I'm unable to make a payment, has anyone successfully made a payment for Uzbek e-visa since the website restarted? If yes, what browser/system did you use (i tried mac/windows, chrome/ie etc).

Attached pic is what it says when I go on payment tab, enter my code, then click "Pay Now" button:
Системная ошибка (it means system error)

Any ideas/help/suggestions here specially if you were able to successfully get an evisa. Do I need to wait a day or so for application to be fully activated? The activation email said "The link will be active within 12 hours", but I'm not sure if that's just their incorrect grammar meaning I have 12 hours max to make a payment, or I should only try to make a payment after 12 hours.

I emailed the Uzbek Embassy in USA about this error and they simply copy-pasted a reply of what's already on their website (evisa not working, apply with us for $160 and mailing in passport etc) which frankly I don't want to do given that evisa is all online and only $20 if I can get the payment to work.
Attachments
paymentpage
paymentpage
paypageerror.JPG (32.25 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
paymentpageerror
paymentpageerror
paypage1.JPG (88.78 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Last edited by nomiiiii on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Utair

Post by Utair »

Entering Uzbekistan at Dostyk (April 13th, 2021)

I crossed the border at Dostyk on April 13th towards Usbekistan with a German passport.

Keep in mind: I entered Uzbekistan; keep in mind there are reports indicating that it is not possible to cross the Dostyk border towards Kyrgyzstan. I entered Kyrgyzstan at Manas Airport and not at Dostyk land border.

The border is cramped and many people are crossing it. Leaving Kyrgyzstan was possible within a few minutes. In front of the Uzbek border, a young guard checked passports and PCR Tests. I had one (done at Aqualab; very easy and smooth, just drop in according to the opening hours stated on their website). He then sent me directly to passport control.
Despite required, most people did not have a PCR Test and were sent to a crowded rapid-test station. However, this seems only to be an option for people going to Uzbekistan. It was attached directly to the Uzbek border post. Alltogether, crossing the border towards Kyrgyzstan seemed to be a much more time-consuming and complicated process
It was not a issue to get a shared taxi onwards to Andijan.

Most Uzbeks are not really caring about the Corona virus very much as well. However, the situation seems much more stable than in Kyrgyzstan to me and several people are following basic hygiene rules.
1 x

dhop

Post by dhop »

nomiiiii wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:48 pm
On a US passport, I'm applying for an Uzbek single-entry e-visa on https://e-visa.gov.uz/

But using that code, I'm unable to make a payment, has anyone successfully made a payment for Uzbek e-visa since the website restarted? If yes, what browser/system did you use (i tried mac/windows, chrome/ie etc).

Attached pic is what it says when I go on payment tab, enter my code, then click "Pay Now" button:

Any ideas/help/suggestions here specially if you were able to successfully get an evisa. Do I need to wait a day or so for application to be fully activated? The activation email said "The link will be active within 12 hours", but I'm not sure if that's just their incorrect grammar meaning I have 12 hours max to make a payment, or I should only try to make a payment after 12 hours.
Same problem here! Please let me know if you figure it out.
0 x

deidren

Post by deidren »

dhop wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:18 pm
nomiiiii wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:48 pm

Same problem here! Please let me know if you figure it out.

If you go to the Uzbekistan guide here on caravanistan, the eVisa website is notoriously plagued with issues. They recommend using a 3rd party to facilitate the visa (such as iVisa). I just got my Uzbek visa about 10 days ago, but since the eVisa system hadn’t opened up yet, I just applied at the Embassy in Washington DC and got it there. It ended up being pricey but, you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck!!
1 x

ArtsyVandelay

Post by ArtsyVandelay »

Landed in Tashkent a couple of days ago after spending a couple of weeks in Dubai. The moment I entered the designated gate at DXB, it was obvious how seriously Uzbeks are taking this pandemic. Blatant disregard for any social distancing guidelines. On the flight, not everyone had the mask on and upon landing everyone rushed out of the plane in a very disorderly manner.

The arrival process was painless though. Filled out a form, had my Covid-19 report stamped at a counter and went through immigration. The immigration officials were very professional and courteous.

Most times I have been out and about, I have not seen many people wearing a mask. The pubs seem to be operating as per usual though it's still early days for me here. Will de doing a detailed report at the end of my trip, most likely.

If anyone has any suggestions for any cool restaurants, bars or lounges I must check out, do let me know. Money isn't an issue fortunately so don't care if the places are high end.
Last edited by ArtsyVandelay on Mon May 03, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Jd3313

Post by Jd3313 »

I've just returned home after 10 days in Uzbekistan (Tashkent-Khiva-Nukus-Muynak-Bukhara-Samarkand-Tashkent) and I can confirm that life mostly goes on as though there was no coronavirus. Bars and restaurants are open and generally no one (except for policemen) wears a mask. That being said, if you're not bothered by lack of social distancing and masks (i.e. what we used to call regular life) it is a perfect time to visit - no crowds due to lack of tourists (except for Samarkand where there is apparently quite a lot of domestic tourism), great weather and lower-than-usual prices. Be advised however that. especially in Khiva and Bukhara. some restaurants and hotels may be closed due to lack of demand so make sure that you check whether the places you intend to go are actually operating. The tourist attractions are, however, generally operating (even though I was often the only guest).
1 x