Uzbekistan travel restrictions/reopening Q&A

All about Uzbekistan.
roadsilk

Re: Uzbekistan travel restrictions/reopening Q&A

Post by roadsilk »

I am waiting for my e-visa to be processed.

It is stuck on "Sent for processing" when I check its status. However, in UZ, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are holidays this week, so I hope I will receive it on Monday or Tuesday instead.
0 x

ArtsyVandelay

Post by ArtsyVandelay »

Checked in with a tour operator in UZ and apparently it’s true that Indians and Pakistanis can’t enter ATM without a quarantine package.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

I'm looking for updates on the situation at the Dostyk border crossing between Osh and Andijan - i.e. entering Uzbekistan from Kyrgyzstan.
An earlier post in this thread mentioned a mandatory express (PCR?) test at the border, and that it doesn't make any sense to take a PCR test in advance. Can someone confirm that this is still/indeed the case?
Secondly, assuming I'll have to take a PCR test in advance, does anyone have any experience with presenting a test result from a lab that is not on the official list published by the Uzbek authorities? Where I live, it would be much more convenient to take the test at a (perfectly reputable) lab nearby that is 1) much easier to get to and 2) also much cheaper - but it won't say "SynLab" on the confirmation... (And I won't have time to do a test in Kyrgyzstan because I'm planning to get to the border on the day I arrive in Bishkek.)
Any pointers would be greatly welcome!
Sebastian
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Pretty sure they just want the fee for the (fake) test they are supposedly administering, and they don't really care about the (fake) result or any prior test you want to use to get out of paying them.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

frunze

Post by frunze »

When I crossed it in July, I took with me a test that was made in Bishkek. They didn't require me to take another test in Dostyk, but the facilities were there. I am not completely sure that test is fake: despite it being a provisory tent, they had pretty much the same equipment and procedures as the many other tests I took in many countries. Not that those can't be fake too, of course
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

OK - thanks! Given that I can enter Kyrgyztan with only my EU vaccination pass, doing the test at the border is the easiest (and most economical) solution. As long as they don't send me back to Kyrgyzstan... ;-)
Sebastian

PS: I'm aware of the fact that some people apparently have been denied boarding at Istanbul airport without a PCR test. Will be looking into that some more...
0 x

frunze

Post by frunze »

sebhoff wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:14 am
I'm looking for updates on the situation at the Dostyk border crossing between Osh and Andijan - i.e. entering Uzbekistan from Kyrgyzstan.
An earlier post in this thread mentioned a mandatory express (PCR?) test at the border, and that it doesn't make any sense to take a PCR test in advance. Can someone confirm that this is still/indeed the case?
Secondly, assuming I'll have to take a PCR test in advance, does anyone have any experience with presenting a test result from a lab that is not on the official list published by the Uzbek authorities? Where I live, it would be much more convenient to take the test at a (perfectly reputable) lab nearby that is 1) much easier to get to and 2) also much cheaper - but it won't say "SynLab" on the confirmation... (And I won't have time to do a test in Kyrgyzstan because I'm planning to get to the border on the day I arrive in Bishkek.)
Any pointers would be greatly welcome!
Sebastian

The list of "authorized labs" is no longer in practice. Only a few countries have labs listed. What if you come from another one?

I would recommend take the test in advance if possible. Because rules with Corona aren't clear, they change all the time, and an uninformed or in a bad mood border guard can have whatever interpretation of it. When I came there was a huge wait for unknown reasons, the guard just took my Swedish passport and went after every single guard in the post what to do with it.

You can try going to the border early in the morning. If they don't accept your test, you take the one they offer there. If they don't allow you even that, come back to Osh and take a test in there. There are labs who send results next day. You would not have an issue booking a test and a hotel at the last minute because Osh isn't exactly a very desired destination (you will see why by yourself).

About being denied boarding in Istanbul: I absolute hate airports in that country and their scammy tactics to rip off people. Such as a surprise security control even you are transiting forcing people unaware to throw drinks they bought as a present, and hopefully have to buy something else there. Or their scandinavian prices for food. Or being the only airports I have seen in my extensive life as a traveller, in more than 35 countries, that charge you for wifi. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a tactic to force people to take a more expensive test at the airport.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

OK - good points!
If all goes well, I'll get to Osh at 7:35 in the morning and am then planning to go straight to the border. Yes, if I run into trouble, I could go into Osh and stay there for one night, I guess. Not what I would want to do, because it would mess with my plans for Uzbekistan, but anyway. As long as I catch the night train to Khiva 2 days later (for which I already booked the ticket)...

Ahhh - airports...! ;) Yes, Istanbul certainly isn't the most pleasant airport. But it wasn't as bad as in some other places. One of my "favourite" experiences was in Macao, where I was sweared at by a ferocious Chinese-speaking "lady" who then chased me away from the only socket I could find to charge my computer. (Oh, and I can't remember any WiFi at all back then - but it was 2004). Or the "duty free" shop at Denpasar airport that tried to charge me twice as much for a copy of Time Magazine than outside the airport. Or Tbilisi airport, where wines are sold at the exchange rate of about 1:1 to the Euro (instead of 1:3.7). I could go on - but I'm veering off topic. :lol:

Sebastian
0 x

roadsilk

Post by roadsilk »

Hoping my fiancees e-visa comes in this week, so far it's been in processing for two days (Monday and Tuesday), rest were holidays.

I am at Istanbul airport currently, flying to Tashkent in an hour. Will report back :)
0 x

htcone

Post by htcone »

ArtsyVandelay wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:29 am
Checked in with a tour operator in UZ and apparently it’s true that Indians and Pakistanis can’t enter ATM without a quarantine package.
Source | tour operators :D
0 x