Uzbekistan travel restrictions/reopening Q&A

All about Uzbekistan.
sion_sanky

Re: Uzbekistan travel restrictions/reopening Q&A

Post by sion_sanky »

Trip Report: Uzbekistan (End July-Early August)

Hello All,
I was in Uzbekistan for the past 2 weeks, sharing my experiences with the group, primarily related to the Covid situation there.

Visa: eVisa (Indian Passport holder)- People requiring eVisa please note that the website is not accepting payments right now (i think its a mechanism to temporarily suspend eVisas, without explicitly announcing any suspension/ban- still better than other countries, who keep the eVisa portal open and then sit on applications for months, after taking Visa fee)

Entry: RT PCR report with a QR code was seen (i will not say checked). There is a special desk, just before passport control at Tashkent Airport, where they just see whether your report is less than 72 hours old and has a QR/barcode. (the code is not scanned while checking). They will stamp the report, and the passport control officer will only see that stamp. Self-declaration form pledging 14 days quarantine which has details of your stay in UZ (address/phone number) will be taken by passport control and dumped in a pile (Quarantine is not checked/enforced anywhere) I was worried that hotels in other cities might check it, but not one person asked me (why i am moving from city to city instead of quarantining for 14 days)

Other restrictions: Restaurants are only allowed to have outdoor seating, and close after 2000 Hrs (takeaway is allowed till 2300). This is followed very strictly in Tashkent, somewhat strictly in Samarkand, and ignored in Bukhara, Khiva, Nukus (bigger the city, stricter the enforcement). Locals don't seem to care about Covid much, with social distancing non-existent on flights/airports. People carry masks, but either wear them on their chin, or sling them across their elbow (i suspect this is to avoid being fined, especially in Tashkent where cops may fine you for not wearing a mask). Inside the metro or large shopping malls- there will always be a guard/staff who will make you wear your mask, but most locals remove it after entering) Like i said, the farther you go from Tashkent, enforcement becomes lax- with practically no masks in places like Khiva/Nukus.

Trains are running at near full capacity, but very few international tourists. The high speed Afrosiyob trains were almost packed, and so were the older, slower trains. Most of the sights in Samarkand, Bukhara, Khiva were pretty empty, with some local and the odd Russian tourist. (i guess it had to do with the weather as well, with the temperature in early 40's, it got quite hot in the afternoons) As the weather cools down, expects crowds to grow.

If you need any other information, please don't hesitate to ask.
2 x

ArtsyVandelay

Post by ArtsyVandelay »

sion_sanky wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:02 am
Trip Report: Uzbekistan (End July-Early August)

Hello All,
I was in Uzbekistan for the past 2 weeks, sharing my experiences with the group, primarily related to the Covid situation there.

Visa: eVisa (Indian Passport holder)- People requiring eVisa please note that the website is not accepting payments right now (i think its a mechanism to temporarily suspend eVisas, without explicitly announcing any suspension/ban- still better than other countries, who keep the eVisa portal open and then sit on applications for months, after taking Visa fee)

Entry: RT PCR report with a QR code was seen (i will not say checked). There is a special desk, just before passport control at Tashkent Airport, where they just see whether your report is less than 72 hours old and has a QR/barcode. (the code is not scanned while checking). They will stamp the report, and the passport control officer will only see that stamp. Self-declaration form pledging 14 days quarantine which has details of your stay in UZ (address/phone number) will be taken by passport control and dumped in a pile (Quarantine is not checked/enforced anywhere) I was worried that hotels in other cities might check it, but not one person asked me (why i am moving from city to city instead of quarantining for 14 days)

Other restrictions: Restaurants are only allowed to have outdoor seating, and close after 2000 Hrs (takeaway is allowed till 2300). This is followed very strictly in Tashkent, somewhat strictly in Samarkand, and ignored in Bukhara, Khiva, Nukus (bigger the city, stricter the enforcement). Locals don't seem to care about Covid much, with social distancing non-existent on flights/airports. People carry masks, but either wear them on their chin, or sling them across their elbow (i suspect this is to avoid being fined, especially in Tashkent where cops may fine you for not wearing a mask). Inside the metro or large shopping malls- there will always be a guard/staff who will make you wear your mask, but most locals remove it after entering) Like i said, the farther you go from Tashkent, enforcement becomes lax- with practically no masks in places like Khiva/Nukus.

Trains are running at near full capacity, but very few international tourists. The high speed Afrosiyob trains were almost packed, and so were the older, slower trains. Most of the sights in Samarkand, Bukhara, Khiva were pretty empty, with some local and the odd Russian tourist. (i guess it had to do with the weather as well, with the temperature in early 40's, it got quite hot in the afternoons) As the weather cools down, expects crowds to grow.

If you need any other information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Apart from the restrictions, it seems like nothing has changed in terms of the arrival process compared to when I visited in April.

As I understood, restaurants only have outdoor dining ? That's a bit of a bummer considering how hot it must be there this time of the year.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Just found this self-declaration form - not sure whether it is the real thing:
It would be interesting to hear what happens when you get covid as a tourist travelling round the country - I've seen at least one video by a recent traveller who fell ill during his stay and needed to quarantine (once he was diagnosed)... But it's in Tamil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIIqJj0A4yw (Also, he seems to have entered Uzbekistan more than 14 days before catching it...)
Sebastian
0 x

nikagoes

Post by nikagoes »

So Uzbekistan is open for travel from some countries but not all? Also, can an American cross the land border from Kyrgyszstan to Uzbekistan currently? Thank you
0 x

Iskandar

Post by Iskandar »

nikagoes wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:44 am
So Uzbekistan is open for travel from some countries but not all? Also, can an American cross the land border from Kyrgyszstan to Uzbekistan currently? Thank you
Same question for me. I plan to go in September crossing land border from Kyrgyztstan. There are many diferent information. On one embassy in Europe told me red countries must go 14 days quarantine. But where is the red list for Uzbekistan? The list that I found seems old.
0 x

ccc

Post by ccc »

Iskandar wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:54 pm
But where is the red list for Uzbekistan? The list that I found seems old.
The best way is to call embassy/consulate for a fresh info and pls inform here.
0 x

Iskandar

Post by Iskandar »

ccc wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:14 pm
Iskandar wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:54 pm
But where is the red list for Uzbekistan? The list that I found seems old.
The best way is to call embassy/consulate for a fresh info and pls inform here.
Yes, I called, but they only said the country that I called (In may case UE) and dont give any list for know from which country you can go to Uzbekistan without quarantine. Example: Spain is in Red list, but I asked if you go from Kyrgyztan or Turkey and nothing information yet.
0 x

RD1993

Post by RD1993 »

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but...my dad and I (both us citizens) applied for a visa via the uzbek embassy in DC. Did one day shipping each way from NY, mailed it July 28 and got it back today, Aug 5. Told them our 2 week itinerary and mentioned that I'd most likely be flying in from Bishkek while he would be flying in from JFK, no mention of us including a quarantine at the start of the trip, and they granted us a 1 month visa.
0 x

ArtsyVandelay

Post by ArtsyVandelay »

Reached out to a tour operator in Uzbekistan, who has arranged an LOI for me a couple of times now. Figured he was a good person to ask. He said that officially you are required to self-isolate for 14 days after arrival but it’s not being enforced and I can plan my trip as intended.

I’m still on the fence about my visit though. May delay it a bit until mid September.
0 x

Luk.debock

Post by Luk.debock »

Hello to all,

I am struggling with the same sense of insecurity : I booked flights in Sep but I am hesitating now since I read that you have to sign a self-declaration form (as shown above) to go in a 14-days quarantine, even if you are fully vaccinated (as in my case). Even if several sources are saying the quarantine is not checked nor enforced, at this time I find it too risky since when I will leave the country on 17sep, they will see at the passport control ath the airport that I only came in on 7sep, so I am leaving even within the 14-days quarantine period !?
I still hope that this measure will be lifted soon, and/or that UZ will accept the EU Digital Covid Certificate.
All info/experience/help with this quarantine issue is more than welcome : is it really a risk, or can I deny this? Thanks!
Last edited by Luk.debock on Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x