Couchsurfing in Uzbekistan - Experiences? Tips?

All about Uzbekistan.
Dana

Couchsurfing in Uzbekistan - Experiences? Tips?

Post by Dana »

Hello everyone,

I am planning to travel in Uzbekistan in September. I am a 25-year old woman and I am going to travel by myself. I decided I would like to try Couchsurfing for this trip to meet locals and learn about the country.
When I was trying out the app, I registered my upcoming trip. I already got quite some invitations from people (men) who want to host me or want to travel with me. I have no idea how I should perceive this. The people who have messaged me so far also have no or little references and are unverified.
Is it normal to get these requests and can I just go with it? Or should I be warned and could these people be untrustworthy? What are your thoughts and experiences about this?

I would also like to learn about your couchsurfing experiences in Uzbekistan/Central Asia in general. It would be nice to hear your stories and if you have any tips (other than on the CS website itself) to have a good time :)

Also:
- I am aware of the rules about the registration slips and I am planning to stay in ho(s)tels at least every 3 days.

- I haven't done a lot of solo travelling before. I am very excited, yet cautious. I understood Uzbekistan is a very safe country for solo female travellers, of course minding the usual cautions.

Thanks in advance!
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Couchsurfing in Uzbekistan - Experiences? Tips?

Post by Christian77 »

This is a hard no. Stay only with women or families. You should only stay with a man if he has a large number of positive recommendations from solo female travelers.

But even then..... I had a to "rescue" a solo female traveler who arranged to stay with a family, but then had the guy attempt to take her to an apartment (which he likely rented for the night). She only believed me when I got the local hostel manager involved and asked his opinion ("If you don't give him sex he will rape you" was his advice). And that host actually had some good recommendations online.

I'm not a woman, but I've been traveling extensively in the region for about 12 years. I have local male friends who are good, trustworthy guys. But they are not the type to sign up as a host on couchsurfing and then message women.

Obligatory "this can happen anywhere" note: This is hardly Uzbekistan specific advice. Near where I live in Canada a local man murdered a Belgian tourist that me met through a rideshare forum. So don't think I'm picking on Central Asia.

Final note: if you are black or east Asian or Arab/Indian your risks go way up in this region.

If you want to hear from women: https://caravanistan.com/planning/safet ... travelers/
2 x

Dana

Re: Couchsurfing in Uzbekistan - Experiences? Tips?

Post by Dana »

Hi Christian,

Thank you for all your advice for your information and links. It is very helpful and definitely gave me more insights on the situation.
0 x