Islambek travel, and is Moynaq worth it?

All about Uzbekistan.
Skopje1110

Islambek travel, and is Moynaq worth it?

Post by Skopje1110 »

Hi, I'm a solo female traveller (British, early 30s) going to Uzbekistan.

I am thinking of taking two day tours (one Aral sea, and another Nukus to Khiva transfer) with Islambek and wanted to know if anyone had any reviews/experiences to share? I'd be going alone, so I'd like to know how safe this (and other companies) is for a lone female with just a driver.

Second question, be honest, is visiting Nukus/the ship cemetery at Moynaq really worth it, seeing as it's so out of the way? I imagine being underwhelmed, but I'd like to be told otherwise. Thanks in advance.
0 x

Koen

Re: Islambek travel, and is Moynaq worth it?

Post by Koen »

I went on trip to Moynaq and aral sea, I found it not really worth the time and money.
Rather spend more time Khiva or other city
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

elhabibi

Post by elhabibi »

Hi, I'm currently in Khiva and thinking of going to Nukus with Islambek Travel and also visit the Elliq Qalas as well along the way. I heard the Nukus Museum of Art is also worth visiting if you are in the area, apparently it hosts one of the best collections of Soviet art in the world. However, there isn't much else to do in town except for visiting Moynaq. Now I'm kind of asking myslef the same question, is it worth it or not?

I think it all comes down to what kind of stuff do you want to see in Uzbekistan. Are you passionate about soviet art and also seeing the impact the soviet union had on this place? Then it might be what you are looking for. I think I'll give it a try, there is also a museum in Moynak that shows you a before and after the disaster, I hope that will help me comprehend the impact this disaster had on the town and the whole region.
1 x

Skopje1110

Post by Skopje1110 »

elhabibi wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:38 pm
Hi, I'm currently in Khiva and thinking of going to Nukus with Islambek Travel and also visit the Elliq Qalas as well along the way. I heard the Nukus Museum of Art is also worth visiting if you are in the area, apparently it hosts one of the best collections of Soviet art in the world. However, there isn't much else to do in town except for visiting Moynaq. Now I'm kind of asking myslef the same question, is it worth it or not?

I think it all comes down to what kind of stuff do you want to see in Uzbekistan. Are you passionate about soviet art and also seeing the impact the soviet union had on this place? Then it might be what you are looking for. I think I'll give it a try, there is also a museum in Moynak that shows you a before and after the disaster, I hope that will help me comprehend the impact this disaster had on the town and the whole region.
I'm definitely interested in that stuff! Can you let me know, if you went, how you found it, and the tour company? Are you also taking the tour solo?
0 x

elhabibi

Post by elhabibi »

Skopje1110 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:09 pm
elhabibi wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:38 pm

I'm definitely interested in that stuff! Can you let me know, if you went, how you found it, and the tour company? Are you also taking the tour solo?
Yes, I'm also travelling solo. My plan is to go to Moynak somewhere at the beginning of next week. I'll get in Nukus first then try to find a tour or a ride to Moynak and Aral Sea. The idea is to use Islambek for the 4 castle tour (Elliq Qalas), with transfer to Nukus. Will keep you posting if it goes as planned.
0 x

elhabibi

Post by elhabibi »

Just did my 4 castle tour + Nukus transfer with Islambek Travel and it all went really smooth. The driver did not speak English, but he's been very professional all the time. He got at my hotel 5 min before schedule, the car was in good shape and really clean. Plus, during the visits he went a bit off road to make sure he leaves me as close as possible to the forts. The owner on the other hand speaks good English and has been really kind and helpful and even called during the transfer to ask me if everything is going well. Overall, very good service, I think you would feel very safe.

Spent 6h in Nukus and I found it unexpectedly nice so far, people seem nicer and it's the only place in Uzbekistan where people don't try to sell me stuff of overcharge me. They make eye contact and smile.

Tours to Muynak and the Aral Sea from Nukus are pretty steep in prices tho, even more for a solo traveler. Local agencies ask 80$ for Muynak and 480$ for an overnight stay in an Aral Sea yurt camp. I'll probanly go the adventurous path and take the local bus 🚌
1 x

Almostperfect10

Post by Almostperfect10 »

Hello! My boyfriend and I just did the Moynaq daytrip with Islambek Travel today, starting in Nukus and ending in Khiva. As far as safety is concerned, I would not be concerned about that if I was traveling solo. Although the driver did not speak English, he was very professional. Murad, the owner, was in contact with me via the driver's phone multiple times throughout the day to make sure everything was going well. I am not very art inclined, so I watched "The Desert of Forbidden Art" (find on amazon or as a torrent) so that I could bertter understand and appreciate what I'd be seeing in Nukus. I'd highly recommend it. We had been traveling a lot in the previous days, so it was rather relaxing to just sit and be driven all the way to Moynaq today. My only complaint is that I was not away that the Here and Now music festival was happening at the ship graveyard this weekend, and seeing dozens of people dancing and partying on the ships really took away from what I was expecting to be a solemn sobering experience. I definitely do not regret going though. Be sure to ask the driver to stop if you are hungry. We assumed a lunch or dinner break would be scheduled into the tour, but it wasn't, so we went 12+ hours without eating. Also, it's totally normal to be asked to exit the car and wait while refueling.
1 x

Skopje1110

Post by Skopje1110 »

elhabibi wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 6:07 pm
Just did my 4 castle tour + Nukus transfer with Islambek Travel and it all went really smooth. The driver did not speak English, but he's been very professional all the time. He got at my hotel 5 min before schedule, the car was in good shape and really clean. Plus, during the visits he went a bit off road to make sure he leaves me as close as possible to the forts. The owner on the other hand speaks good English and has been really kind and helpful and even called during the transfer to ask me if everything is going well. Overall, very good service, I think you would feel very safe.

Spent 6h in Nukus and I found it unexpectedly nice so far, people seem nicer and it's the only place in Uzbekistan where people don't try to sell me stuff of overcharge me. They make eye contact and smile.

Tours to Muynak and the Aral Sea from Nukus are pretty steep in prices tho, even more for a solo traveler. Local agencies ask 80$ for Muynak and 480$ for an overnight stay in an Aral Sea yurt camp. I'll probanly go the adventurous path and take the local bus 🚌
Thanks so much! Are you a solo female? Glad you had a great time!
0 x

Skopje1110

Post by Skopje1110 »

Almostperfect10 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:19 pm
Hello! My boyfriend and I just did the Moynaq daytrip with Islambek Travel today, starting in Nukus and ending in Khiva. As far as safety is concerned, I would not be concerned about that if I was traveling solo. Although the driver did not speak English, he was very professional. Murad, the owner, was in contact with me via the driver's phone multiple times throughout the day to make sure everything was going well. I am not very art inclined, so I watched "The Desert of Forbidden Art" (find on amazon or as a torrent) so that I could bertter understand and appreciate what I'd be seeing in Nukus. I'd highly recommend it. We had been traveling a lot in the previous days, so it was rather relaxing to just sit and be driven all the way to Moynaq today. My only complaint is that I was not away that the Here and Now music festival was happening at the ship graveyard this weekend, and seeing dozens of people dancing and partying on the ships really took away from what I was expecting to be a solemn sobering experience. I definitely do not regret going though. Be sure to ask the driver to stop if you are hungry. We assumed a lunch or dinner break would be scheduled into the tour, but it wasn't, so we went 12+ hours without eating. Also, it's totally normal to be asked to exit the car and wait while refueling.
Hi, thanks so much! Really useful. Glad you had a great time, and I'll bear it in mind about the food!
0 x

elhabibi

Post by elhabibi »

Skopje1110 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:52 pm
elhabibi wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 6:07 pm

Thanks so much! Are you a solo female? Glad you had a great time!
Nope, a guy în his early 30's :)
1 x