Uzbekistan in August

All about Uzbekistan.
somesay

Uzbekistan in August

Post by somesay »

Hello,

my gf and I are wondering whether to visit Uzbekistan this August. I was able to see it is not recommanded due to hot temperatures, and found just few first hand experiences. I see it is also a dry heat, which should be more berable? We are both fit and young so I dont think heat should be more of a problem than for example 35 celsius and 70% humidity in Turkey? Would like to hear more from someone who visited the country during Summer. Thanks
0 x

earthlingonfire

Re: Uzbekistan in August

Post by earthlingonfire »

I visited Uzbekistan last year, in the middle of August (the usual - Tashkent, Samarkand, Bukhara).

As a Greek (one who, admittedly, enjoys the heat), it wasn't a problem at all. Partner who enjoys the heat a bit less was fine too.

We, too, were worried about the temperature and almost didn't go. We also skipped Termez because we thought the heat would be unbearable, but were told by locals that Termez would probably be fine too.

So, if you find Turkey's 35C/70% humidity okay, I think you'll be fine. Maybe pack some electrolyte tablets and take the usual measures to avoid a heat stroke (just like you would in the conditions you described in Turkey).

The temperature was higher a few days before we visited (late July/early August), though. Still think it would have been ok.
1 x

somesay

Post by somesay »

earthlingonfire wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:53 am
I visited Uzbekistan last year, in the middle of August (the usual - Tashkent, Samarkand, Bukhara).

As a Greek (one who, admittedly, enjoys the heat), it wasn't a problem at all. Partner who enjoys the heat a bit less was fine too.

We, too, were worried about the temperature and almost didn't go. We also skipped Termez because we thought the heat would be unbearable, but were told by locals that Termez would probably be fine too.

So, if you find Turkey's 35C/70% humidity okay, I think you'll be fine. Maybe pack some electrolyte tablets and take the usual measures to avoid a heat stroke (just like you would in the conditions you described in Turkey).

The temperature was higher a few days before we visited (late July/early August), though. Still think it would have been ok.
Thanks a lot for the feedback!
We are planning to be there from the 10th of August until the 20th, and do pretty much the same tour as you did. We are from Croatia, so we are actually used to some degree of heat waves similar to those in southern Europe. Do you maybe remember the actual temperatures?
1 x

earthlingonfire

Post by earthlingonfire »

somesay wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:06 am
We are from Croatia, so we are actually used to some degree of heat waves similar to those in southern Europe. Do you maybe remember the actual temperatures?
Being from Croatia will certainly help a bit.
I think it was about 35C-37C at most. Most of the time it was lower. Evenings were much cooler, especially in Bukhara.

Bukhara was the hottest, dampening our clothes and skin with a bit of water helped (but that was in the middle of the day). We also used sunscreen, took it easy, wore loose-fitting, light-coloured clothes, took our electrolytes and drank a lot of water (there are [usually pay but cheap] toilets everywhere, thankfully). Can't say it was worse than Athens at the same time of the year (but here, too, you need to make sure to do all of the above if you're outside walking all day).

If you plan on hiking, make sure you have lots of water, more than you think you'll need. Otherwise, in the cities, it's really not that bad.
1 x

somesay

Post by somesay »

earthlingonfire wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:17 am
somesay wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:06 am
We are from Croatia, so we are actually used to some degree of heat waves similar to those in southern Europe. Do you maybe remember the actual temperatures?
Being from Croatia will certainly help a bit.
I think it was about 35C-37C at most. Most of the time it was lower. Evenings were much cooler, especially in Bukhara.

Bukhara was the hottest, dampening our clothes and skin with a bit of water helped (but that was in the middle of the day). We also used sunscreen, took it easy, wore loose-fitting, light-coloured clothes, took our electrolytes and drank a lot of water (there are [usually pay but cheap] toilets everywhere, thankfully). Can't say it was worse than Athens at the same time of the year (but here, too, you need to make sure to do all of the above if you're outside walking all day).

If you plan on hiking, make sure you have lots of water, more than you think you'll need. Otherwise, in the cities, it's really not that bad.
Ok, thank you very much once again for your help 😃
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Hi,

35°C is quite normal, but it can get hotter - IIRC there were over 40°C in Tashkent when I was there in August 2018. Additionally, it's a rather dry heat (meaning you feel the heat more than you do around the mediterranean). But I found it still bearable, and I'm from a "colder" country, so I would not worry too much, as long you don't have any health conditions that may make hot days a real problem.
1 x

somesay

Post by somesay »

Milad wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:00 pm
Hi,

35°C is quite normal, but it can get hotter - IIRC there were over 40°C in Tashkent when I was there in August 2018. Additionally, it's a rather dry heat (meaning you feel the heat more than you do around the mediterranean). But I found it still bearable, and I'm from a "colder" country, so I would not worry too much, as long you don't have any health conditions that may make hot days a real problem.
Thank you for the feedback!
Fortunately we dont have any health condition, so with the right precautions it should be ok after all 😀
Btw what do you mean by feeling more the heat? We have never been to a country with yhat high temperatures and dry conditions, but I have read that dry should be actually better than humid?
0 x