Visiting Karakalpakstan/Aral Sea with the current situation

All about Uzbekistan.
rbt

Visiting Karakalpakstan/Aral Sea with the current situation

Post by rbt »

Hello - We're a group of travelers planning a trip around Uzbekistan in early August. We were planning to do a 2-day Aral Sea tour, setting off from Nukus, on the 7th and 8th of August.

However, today's headlines state that there were [protests][/https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/2 ... eform-plan] in Karakalpakstan, and that Uzbekistan has declared a state of [emergency][https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/2 ... k-autonomy] in the region. According to the Reuter's article, " the state of emergency in the Republic of Karakalpakstan would run from just after midnight on Sunday (19:00 GMT Saturday) to August 2"

We are aiming to travel to the region on the 7th. Does it seem likely that the state of emergency will be lifted? Would travel be safe given the circumstances? Would it be advisable to not make any tour/hotel bookings in the region?

Thank you!=
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Visiting Karakalpakstan/Aral Sea with the current situation

Post by bwv812 »

The government backed down and are rolling back some of the planned changes, so it should probably be fine.
0 x

Rums

Post by Rums »

How far is this from Khiva?
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

What do you mean by "this"? The "border" with Karakalpakstan (there is no border...): about 50km. Nukus? about 170km.
0 x

TeamCornet

Post by TeamCornet »

Hi,

Is the border between Kazakhstan and Ouzbekistan in Tazhen close due to the current situation in Karakapalstan ?
Or can we still enter the country outside the curfew hours ?

Thank you
0 x

himbel

Post by himbel »

Hi,

for me it would also be really interesting, if its possible to cross the landboarder currently in Tazhen.

Has anybody tried recently?

Thanks
0 x

sah10406

Post by sah10406 »

Thanks for asking this question @rbt. I have been thinking about it too, in the light of last week's news. Curfew I can cope with, but it doesn't feel right (and maybe not even safe) to breeze in as a tourist when things are so tense for the locals.

UK FCO is currently advising against non-essential travel to Karakalpakstan:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... d-security

My plan is to spend 4 or 5 days in the Nukus and Moynaq area in mid-September, at the end of a longer trip to Uzbekistan. For now I will keep that part of my visit flexible I guess.
0 x

sah10406

Post by sah10406 »

The state of emergency has now been formally lifted, earlier than the planned end date, and the FCO link in my last post has been updated.
0 x

MartinN

Post by MartinN »

I will be in similar time frame in Karakalpakstan.
After I will go to Aktau, maybe is there some info about border? Is it open for foreigners after ending state of emergency?
0 x

MartinN

Post by MartinN »

HI,

Looks like that my friend and I will finally reach Nukus on 14 or 15.9. We will be there in period of 15.9-18.9(20 depends on possible transport to Aktau) If somebody will be there in that period and what share tour to Aral see or just drink tea and talk, let me know.

Ps: If somebody knows when(if) bus goes from Nukus to Aktau, I will be very grateful for info
0 x