Fergana valley for a week

All about Uzbekistan.
frankyday

Fergana valley for a week

Post by frankyday »

Hello there,

Advices needed.

I have been uzbekistan a few times (first time in 2013) but I have not been fergana valley so far.

Now I am in Uzbekistan and will be heading for fergana valley for a week on early November.

I have basic understanding of the region but would love to hear some general or insider advice if I have a week there.

Thanks a lot
Franky
0 x

Poney

Re: Fergana valley for a week

Post by Poney »

If you like handicrafts, fruits (although season is a bit off for now), giant bazars and lively cities with no transports problems, Ferghana valley will fullfill your expectations.
For knives Tchust is the place to check apparently (never been there), although I found some workshops in Pop and Istaravshan (TDJ) as well.
For traditionnal uzbek hats, there are houses workshop to visit in Pop, for ceramics, Richton has numerous shops from variable quality along the main road of the small town, and for silk, Margilon is a good place to shop.
I did not really liked Namagan, althouh it is a pretty lively city, but it has been mpdelled a bit too much by Karimov’s hand to be beautiful.
Ferghana and Margilon forms a strange duo of neighboring cities, one very russian province style, the second one traditionnaly uzbek.
Andijon is a nice city to chill for a day or two, I think the bigger bazar is on thursday there.
Enjoy your stay there !
0 x

frankyday

Post by frankyday »

Great, good advice.

Thanks a lot and looking forward to it.

Any other comments are welcome.
0 x

Rufio

Post by Rufio »

I'll start off by saying I'm a city person and not interested in how Uzbek locals make silk and other stuff, and I'd rather go to a shopping mall over a bazaar, so for me Fergana/Margilan was boring. Also be prepared to be stared at by everyone.. (when I say everyone, I mean every living human being walking down the street)
0 x