Fergana Valley

All about Uzbekistan.
Donhesse
Supporter
Supporter

Fergana Valley

Postby Donhesse » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:16 am

Traveling from Toshkent, is the lonely planet information correct about shared taxis? (where to get? no alternatives?)

Also, my usual accomodation web sites shows nothing in Fergana and Andijon. I am assuming that I will find guest houses even at this time of year? Thanks for your help.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Fergana Valley

Postby steven » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:25 am

They are still building the train to Kokand, I think. So you need to get a shared taxi. Guesthouses will be available, just check your guidebook for suggestions. They just haven't discovered those booking websites yet. Now is a good time to bargain your room price!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Aliya
Uzbekistan expert
Uzbekistan expert

Postby Aliya » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:12 am

Hello Mr Hesse,
There is a taxi spot in Tashkent for Ferghana Valley - near Kuylyuk Bazaar. Seat in a shared taxi costs 25 000-30 000 UZS.
Accommodation in Andijan: Vella Elegant, Andijon Hotel, Elite Hotel, Plaza Palace Hotel - experience only with Vella Elegant, quite good.
in Ferghana: Asia Ferghana, Club 777, Tajmahal, Dangara, Dustlyk, Ziyorat. First 2 are good.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:20 am

ITo add to Aliya's comment:

n Ferghana we stayed at Valentina's guesthouse last time. Difficult to find but nice place if you are on a tight budget. Ask for the devet-etazhka.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Donhesse
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Donhesse » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 am

Thanks, Steven and Aliya.
0 x

maximminga

Postby maximminga » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:00 am

I can recommend staying at "Shoirabegim Adras Hotel" in Margilan (about 30km north of Ferghana City), especially if you anyway want to go to Margilan to see the Ikat production. We stayed there for two nights this September.
We didn't even pass through Ferghana City on our trip, as we hired a driver who got us directly to Margilan from Tashkent.
The Hotel is actually not in the city centre of Margilan, but on the outskirts in a small Mahalla (we booked it over Peopletravel, a Tashkent based travel agency). The hotel is a typical but new Uzbek house, rooms are situated around a courtyard. There is a small shop where you can watch a video about ikat production and buy fabrics (though there are better places to get informed and to buy fabrics in the city centre). The owner does not speak English (nor Russian), but the woman speaks Russian and there is a young guy helping out who speaks perfect English. Rooms are spacious and very clean. Breakfast is plenty, fresh and very good.
0 x