Questions about the Ferghana valley

All about Uzbekistan.
tapacharya

Questions about the Ferghana valley

Post by tapacharya »

I'm interested in the Ferghana region for its historical significance, both as the birthplace of the Baburids as well as the intrigues that eventually led to the downfall of the khanates at the hands of the Russians a few centuries later. In particular I'm interested in Kokand, Margilon and Ferghana city.

It seems like the only way to get there is through Tashkent. Is there a way to get there from Samarkand, for instance? I might be going to Khujand too, so I am considering crossing into UZ from there. Are shared taxis easily available between Khujand and Kokand? If you've been to this area, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences there.
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Questions about the Ferghana valley

Post by sebhoff »

No personal experience here, but there‘s supposed to be a bus: https://www.asiaplustj.info/en/news/taj ... -bus-route
0 x

tapacharya

Post by tapacharya »

sebhoff wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:41 am
No personal experience here, but there‘s supposed to be a bus: https://www.asiaplustj.info/en/news/taj ... -bus-route
Thanks! That's good to know.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I wrote quite a bit about the region: https://caravanistan.com/uzbekistan/ferghana-valley/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

tapacharya

Post by tapacharya »

steven wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:26 am
I wrote quite a bit about the region: https://caravanistan.com/uzbekistan/ferghana-valley/
Thank you. This is very useful!
0 x

Siberiade

Post by Siberiade »

I did this a couple weeks ago in reverse. There are shared taxis that meet outside the bus station (on an intersection) that go towards the border. It's 2 hours – 25 somoni in a marshurtka, double that for a seat in a cab.

At the border you can walk across and then there will be drivers looking to that you to Kokand. You should also be able to just take a private taxi through Yandex or bargain. 100,000 som would be a good price to Kokand, and it takes about 75 minutes.
0 x

tapacharya

Post by tapacharya »

Siberiade wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:08 pm
I did this a couple weeks ago in reverse. There are shared taxis that meet outside the bus station (on an intersection) that go towards the border. It's 2 hours – 25 somoni in a marshurtka, double that for a seat in a cab.

At the border you can walk across and then there will be drivers looking to that you to Kokand. You should also be able to just take a private taxi through Yandex or bargain. 100,000 som would be a good price to Kokand, and it takes about 75 minutes.
Good to hear of your recent experience. Any highlights of the Ferghana valley that you can think of mentioning?
0 x

alethialee

Post by alethialee »

From my personal experience I think you can start from Samarkand, I took a mashrukta at the bus station there(I think it’s called кафтархона cuz I have a picture of my mashrukta with this word as a sign on the window) , the driver dropped me off in front of the border pass, Tajikistan was just a hundred meters away, after border crossing there were shared taxis outside and took me to the hostel I booked in panjakent, all smooth. But I went to Dushanbe after panjakent so I’m not quite sure about the transportation from panjakent to khujand, but I think there’s gotta be a way cuz my companion went to khujand directly from panjakent, I think owner of the hostel helped her. And from khujand, near the bazaar there’s mashrukta line 3A that can take you to avtostantsiya gafurov and then mashrukta line no.328 to konikodom, but the terminal is still a few minutes drive away to the border so may need to hitchhike or get a taxi, then you would cross to the UZ side, there’s shared taxi outside to Kokand, but I suggest you leave khujand at least before noon cuz it’s possible that if you arrived at the border too late, you may be the only tourist there and would have a hard time dealing with those drivers. from kokand you can enjoy Fergana valley , and easy going back to Tashkent by train.
0 x

Kasia

Post by Kasia »

tapacharya wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:58 pm
Any highlights of the Ferghana valley that you can think of mentioning?
The Fergana section here at Caravanistan is a good starting point for a general info.

My highlights when I was there last summer:

Kokand
- easy walkable
- interesting sights (Khan palace, Juma mosque with crafts workshops, Modari Khan mausoleum with cemetery and locals that are treated by "healing massage")
- in the evening the park south of the palace comes to life: music, families, picnic, and at my time there was a family circus

Margilon:
- Qum Tepe Bazaar
- accomodation: Ikat house
- taking a stroll in the neighbourhood

Fergana:
- soviet amusement park at Central Park (I was there around midnight with locals, otherwise it would not have any fun for me)

Enjoy your time, safe travels!
Kasia
0 x

tapacharya

Post by tapacharya »

Kasia wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:20 am

The Fergana section here at Caravanistan is a good starting point for a general info.

My highlights when I was there last summer:
Thank you, Kasia! Very useful!
0 x