Gasoline

All about Uzbekistan.
aljosha62

Gasoline

Post by aljosha62 »

So, I am considering traveling to both countries in late September and October and renting a car through Iron Horse Nomads. Caravanastan’s website states that in rural areas, getting gasoline is a big problem and there are many roadside ‘vendors’ selling crappy gas in water bottles, for which you better use a filter when putting the gas in your car. However, that seems to have been written in 2018. Is getting gasoline through both countries still that big a problem? Thank you.
0 x

aljosha62

Gasoline

Post by aljosha62 »

So, I am considering traveling to both countries in late September and October and renting a car through Iron Horse Nomads. Caravanastan’s website states that in rural areas, getting gasoline is a big problem and there are many roadside ‘vendors’ selling crappy gas in water bottles, for which you better use a filter when putting the gas in your car. However, that seems to have been written in 2018. Is getting gasoline through both countries still that big a problem? Thank you.
0 x

OWNER

Re: Gasoline

Post by OWNER »

Apparently, the author is talking about Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan. I don’t know what kind of gasoline the author needs, so I’ll talk about AI-92. I have been to these countries in my own car several times. There are no problems with the availability or quality of fuel anywhere in Kyrgyzstan. I have many stories from different years about Kyrgyzstan, roads and fuel issues are described everywhere. Look at my blog if necessary. Even near the Torugart pass, at an altitude of 3600 meters, there was a gas station. This was in 2018 and the price of gasoline was 46 soms per liter.

As for Uzbekistan, the last time I was there was in 2022, in transit to the Pamirs. I didn’t fill up with fuel, but noted that there were no fewer petrol stations. And I traveled through Uzbekistan in detail in the fall of 2021, Tashkent - Samarkand - Bukhara - Termez. There were no problems with gasoline. More precisely, I managed to satisfy my needs without major problems. But the main fuel in Uzbekistan is methane, it is everywhere in overwhelming quantities. About gasoline, roads and the police of Uzbekistan in the second part of this story.

And gasoline in cans on the side of the road - these are my impressions of the 90s of the last century. )) I myself refueled with AI-80 gasoline; there was no other gasoline in Uzbekistan at that time. And everything then was not the same as it is now.
0 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Apparently, the author is talking about Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan. I don’t know what kind of gasoline the author needs, so I’ll talk about AI-92. I have been to these countries in my own car several times. There are no problems with the availability or quality of fuel anywhere in Kyrgyzstan. I have many stories from different years about Kyrgyzstan, roads and fuel issues are described everywhere. Look at my blog if necessary. Even near the Torugart pass, at an altitude of 3600 meters, there was a gas station. This was in 2018 and the price of gasoline was 46 soms per liter.

As for Uzbekistan, the last time I was there was in 2022, in transit to the Pamirs. I didn’t fill up with fuel, but noted that there were no fewer petrol stations. And I traveled through Uzbekistan in detail in the fall of 2021, Tashkent - Samarkand - Bukhara - Termez. There were no problems with gasoline. More precisely, I managed to satisfy my needs without major problems. But the main fuel in Uzbekistan is methane, it is everywhere in overwhelming quantities. About gasoline, roads and the police of Uzbekistan in the second part of this story.

And gasoline in cans on the side of the road - these are my impressions of the 90s of the last century. )) I myself refueled with AI-80 gasoline; there was no other gasoline in Uzbekistan at that time. And everything then was not the same as it is now.
0 x

aljosha62

Post by aljosha62 »

Thank you. Your assumption about my travel destinations is correct. But a 4x4 on 80 octane? That sounds brutal. And I haven’t seen any rental car listings for LPG using vehicles. Im in no shape to do any hiking beyond walking, so going far off road is unlikely; but even if I didn’t intend to do serious offroading, I’d still try and get a 4x4 automatic (can’t drive manual), based on what i see of the roads. I’ve learned my lesson in Ukraine, Moldova and eastern Turkey. Since I’ve never driven a 4x4 before, if it’s automatic, should I assume it’ll kick in 4x4 lo when it thinks it needs it? I can’t see doing either country, but certainly not Kyrgyzstan with an SUV crossover, even if the worst would be dirt roads or off road a minor distance from ‘real roads’. Am I wrong?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Seeing how the most common vehicle in rural areas is still a beat-up Lada from Soviet times, it is certainly possible to do it without a 4x4. I've driven all over Central Asia in a 1998 Honda CR-V. Repairs were needed but we got everywhere on the local fuel.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

steven wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:37 am
...most common vehicle in rural areas is still a beat-up Lada from Soviet times...
This is wrong. Yes, there are old VAZ cars, but their share is very small. You can see this for yourself: in my travel stories, I always pay great attention to roads. The condition of the roads, the availability of fuel, relations with the traffic police - this is important for a car traveler. You can see about the roads of Uzbekistan in the story and the ones that follow it.https://roadstravel.ru/uzbekistan-na-mashine-2021/

Fresh video about the roads of Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan in a story about a trip to Karakol, December 2023 https://roadstravel.ru/gornyye-lyzhi-ka ... ak-doroga/

Look at the number of VAZ cars in these videos, see for yourself - there are not many of them left. Another thing is that the share of 4x4 vehicles in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan is small. But the point is not that the roads are so good everywhere, but the price of SUVs, even old ones.
0 x