I can’t take out a second mortgage…

All about Uzbekistan.
aljosha62

I can’t take out a second mortgage…

Post by aljosha62 »

… to rent a car! I am planning to spend about thirty days on the road myself between Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan (or Uzbekistan alone, if I must). I wanted to fly into Tashkent on LOT, because the cost for premium seats is the same for economy on Qatar or Emirates to Bishkek. And Bishkek seems to offer the best prices for an SUV. Okay, if need be, I can fly to Tashkent and then later take a flight on Uzbekair to Bishkek and rent a car there. BUT: I can’t find an SUV or ‘normal’ car to rent in Tashkent which has unlimited mileage, a decent price, and most importantly, does not have a plethora of bad reviews about scams, unkept promises, or stealing deposits. SIXT looks the best, but I can’t go to Khiva?!?

HELP! Do you have any recommendations I should check out? Thank you.
0 x

aljosha62

Re: I can’t take out a second mortgage…

Post by aljosha62 »

I should clarify that i would rent a car in Tashkent only if I was doing the country alone. Otherwise, I would stay a bit in Tashkent, fly to Bishkek, and rent a crossborder vehicle from Travel Land (your comments about that are most welcome, too).
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

This may not be what you are looking for, but: have you considered trains? Some countries are great for explorations in a rented car, but as far as I can tell (I haven’t tried), Uzbekistan is not one of them. Distances between cities are great, there’s little to see in between (OK, some desert fortresses - but the can also be reached in a day-trip from one of the cities), driving is boring, and expensive. Taxis/drivers can be hired wherever you are, without breaking the bank. And trains are a great way to get around…
0 x

aljosha62

Post by aljosha62 »

Appreciate it, but driving is part of my enjoyment (and believe me, after doing close to 6000km in Turkey in three weeks, long distances and boring scenery is not an issue). I like to move fast (my trips center around photography, so I don’t need much time in a place); go when I want to go; and not be forced to be around people I may not want to be around. The best part of your welcome advice is the taxis as needed, though, given how much of a country I usually visit, Im not so sure it would turn out to be cheaper, though I could be wrong. I also like not having to schlepp my bag with me everywhere.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

We don't work with any rental companies in Uzbekistan anymore cos we couldn't honestly recommend anyone decent...I agree it is a problem to find someone reliable. But you certainly don't need a 4x4 for Uzbekistan, it's mostly flat and the roads are decent. So if it's just you, get the cheapest car you can find. If you write to our custom tours section one of our contacts in Tashkent might be able to rustle up something that's reasonably priced.

Kyrgyzstan is also short on budget options. The pandemic wiped out a lot of the available stock as people had to sell their cars to stay afloat, and now there is just a real supply crunch.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D