Tajikistan or Kazakhstan after Uzbekistan?

All about Uzbekistan.
ChrisFitz2024

Tajikistan or Kazakhstan after Uzbekistan?

Post by ChrisFitz2024 »

Hi everyone,

I'm in Central Asia in April/May for 14-days and need some help!

I'm 100% doing Uzbekistan (Tashkent-Khiva-Bukhara-Samarkand) as its been on my bucket list for years but I can't decide on what to do with the 3 days I have spare at the end.

My two choices are either cross the border into Tajikistan and stay 2-nights in Panjakent and visit the Seven Lakes and then a night in Khujand before travelling back to Tashkent to fly home. This is the cheaper option with less flights and would see me get off the grid.

The other option is to stay 3-days in Almaty and then do Uzbekistan. I could also spend a day doing a day tour to the Seven Lakes from Samarkand but that almost feels like I'm not taking Tajikistan seriously.

It seems like a choice of a modern city in Almaty or going off the grid a bit in northern Tajikistan. It's a hard choice!

Any help or advice would be great.

Chris
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Tajikistan or Kazakhstan after Uzbekistan?

Post by sebhoff »

Or stay in Uzbekistan and visit Nukus (the Savitsky Museum), or Termez, or the Fergana Valley. Plenty of things to see/do.
0 x

ChrisFitz2024

Post by ChrisFitz2024 »

Good point but to be honest I'm not that interested in Nukus (after some research) and Termez sounds like it would be a day trip. Fergana would be interesting but I would experience a bit of that seeing Khujand anyway.

I have no idea when I will be able to go back to Central Asia so seeing a bit extra in Tajikistan or Kazakhstan would be preferable.
0 x

Filipetln

Post by Filipetln »

Why don’t you go to Turkmenistan. If you have 3 full days you could do Kunya-Urgench, Darwaza gas crater, Ashgabat and Merv. Pretty much everything you need to see in Turkmenistan.
0 x

ChrisFitz2024

Post by ChrisFitz2024 »

How is the visa situation for Turkmenistan at the moment? I heard it was notoriously hard but maybe thats changed.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

You could always check the visa page...
0 x

ChrisFitz2024

Post by ChrisFitz2024 »

I have and it's far more difficult than Kazakhstan and Tajikistan, which give free entry visas.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

So what is your question, then? Are you asking if the visa page is incorrect?
0 x

ChrisFitz2024

Post by ChrisFitz2024 »

No mate, I was asking if things had recently changed because recommending going somewhere for 2-3 days where visas are notoriously hard isn't the best advice.

To anyone else, I'm leaning towards Tajikistan because I can travel from Samarkand to Panjakent to Khujand to Tashkent.

If anyone has advice on this (and the Seven Lakes) that would be great.
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

If you enjoy mountains and hiking, yes, go to the Fann mountains. Although the 7 lakes' is not my preferred part of the Fann mountains.
0 x