Post-Karimov Uzbekistan entry/exit reports

All about Uzbekistan.
khojandi

Post-Karimov Uzbekistan entry/exit reports

Post by khojandi »

I'm planning to fly into Uzbekistan on September 9th. I've been a little concerned about some twitter reports that there was restricted movement around borders just before the announcement of Karimov's death.

Would love to hear any tourist reports of entering or exiting safely and as usual.

I understand this is still in the post-Sep1 Independence day period, but still thought I would put up a query here.
1 x

khojandi

Re: Post-Karimov Uzbekistan entry/exit reports

Post by khojandi »

I'll answer my own question. Just flew into Tashkent with LOI - got my visa on arrival for a whopping 160USD (US passport). Airport was disorganized and slow to issue visa (the man in charge was away for 20 minutes) but everything worked out fine. Overall climate seems fine and the exchange rate seems stable at 6300UZS to 1USD.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks khojandi, did not know what to answer so glad someone did!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Scribetrotter

Post by Scribetrotter »

In case anyone is planning on crossing overland from Osh in Kyrgyzstan through Dostyk (providing you already have a visa) - it's fine. I did it this morning and the entire thing took half an hour. Several passport controls on the Kyrgyz side, same on the Uzbek side, fill out duplicate forms stating what electronic equipment you're bringing in and exactly how much money. Then the requisite medicine check: what pills are you bringing in, are any of them sleeping pills, and do you have a doctor's prescription for xxxx. Finally - books. I had the Bradt guides for Kyrgyzstand and Uzbekistan. No photo check, no laptop check. Very deserted though... I was the only foreigner, along with 6-7 Uzbeks going home (Kyrgyz can't cross here).
0 x