Diesel in Uzbekistan

All about Uzbekistan.
Adam84

Diesel in Uzbekistan

Post by Adam84 »

Hello there :)

in approx 2 weeks i plan to overland Uzbekistan from Kazakhstan
Can i bring with me extra Diesel Jerry Cans ? How many L would be OK ?
Could you please share any tricks on getting some diesel in the country ?
Any issues on border while getting in I should worry about (paperwork, fees, insurance) ?
How do truck drivers / buss drivers fluel up ?
Experience at buying some diesel from them "out of their tank" ?

Thank you !
Last edited by Adam84 on Fri May 12, 2017 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

roro

Re: Diesel in Uzbekistan

Post by roro »

Very good question!

RR.
0 x

jornk

Post by jornk »

I have the same question. I am about to overland Uz from Kaz as well in a few weeks. I was hoping to bring some spare petrol on the Tajen border crossing....

Please keep me posted!
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

yes, u can. a lot of. usually i take more than 200l (my car consume much more than 300-350l per one crossing uzb, so i have to look for fuel, anyway), but not only beacuse it is difficult to find diesel in uzb - simply it is much more cheaper in kzh (usually i don't have problems with finding diesel, 'coz, primo: i speak russian, secundo: i know very well how black market operates - 30 years ago in poland we had black market and lack of fuel, too ;)

so as i wrote - black market. look for bottles filled with yellow liquid near the road. if you don't speak russian - just stop and wait. and then ask about "soliarka". and don't forget to bargain. really.

vriemiennyi vvoz (temporary import for the car). fill it, keep it, don't lose it, and leave it at the customs while leaving the country. same in kzh, kgz, tjk, etc. by, rus, kzh and kgz can have same sheet for vvoz as they are in customs union, but sometimes customs take old and give new one.
at the borders you can buy insurance for the car ("strakhovka"). there are some barracks operating near the border. here you can find some touts changing money - but of course, not good course ;)

truckers also know black market or they... just stop and wait. usually, they don't want to sell, they want to buy.

try to stop any military vehicle (eg. armored carriers) and ask for diesel.
well, i'm joking.
well, i stopped once. здравствуйте друзья, привет, как дела? у меня тоже нормально. ну как, ребята, а солярка у вас ест? we're talking for some minutes, but they didn't have too much.
but you can ask workers operating tractors by the road.

last fuel stations in kzh are in beineu, but sometimes they don't have soliarka. there is another one station about 20 km before the border, but diesel is much more expensive there and sometimes is gone. usually i use it for "filling up to the plug's edge".
3 x
rgds -
mazeno

aroch200e

Re: Importing diesel to uzbekistan

Post by aroch200e »

Thank you for the answers! I wont forget to report once we have crossed, with our Jerrycans full or empty...
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

Thanks, very accurate reply!
RR.
0 x

jornk

Post by jornk »

Useful info! I guess i can bring some spare fuel from Beyneu into Uzbekistan to make it to Samarkand/Tashkent!
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

But from Turkm, I've heard that Turkm customs take diesel from your jerries , saying it's forbidden to go out from Turkm with spare fuel in jerrycans.
Is it true?
RR.
1 x

ellenenerik

Post by ellenenerik »

We recently crossed from Turkmenistan to Uzbekistan with 40 liters extra. It was not on display, but we also didn't really hide it. Customs checked us extremely well and didn't even mention the extra diesel.
2 x

benjam1

Post by benjam1 »

Hello everyone,

We are in Ouzbekistan since one month and we come from Kazakhstan (through Karakalpakstan)

I want to tell you that diesel is not the nighmare I expected when I read Caravanistan.
Indeed, I full my tank (in station) once close to Bukhara, once close to Samarkand, and once between Samarkand and Tashkent.
Moreover, I had also two times 20 litters on the black market (once close to Nokous and once between Termez and Boukhara). Quality was always good.
The worst situation took us 30 minutes to find it.
You should be patient, ask locals and you'll find it for sure.
And yes we drove a lot, because we went to Boysun (very nice city in the mountains) and Termez (so interesting because of archeological excavations)

As far as I understood, it may be better to drive a diesel car than a benzin one (because the quality of benzin may be very bad sometimes).

Hope you'll enjoy your trip, drive safe !

Benjamin
2 x