Is my medication allowed in Uzbekistan? Q&A

All about Uzbekistan.
Ewoud8

Re: Is my medication allowed in Uzbekistan? Q&A

Postby Ewoud8 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:12 pm

A week ago i took a plane from almaty to tashkent.

I had lots of medication (no opoids or something like that) with me but just before the border i threw a few medication away (all the unnecessary things like paracetamol, motillium etc) but kept the important things (asthma medication, diamox...) because i heard about the strict control.

This was not a good idea: there was no control at all, there was even no green and red corridor, just an exit where you walked trough a scanner.
So no backpack control etc, just a few guard who do not do anything.

Enjoy
1 x

shvedsky

Re: Is my medication allowed in Uzbekistan? Q&A

Postby shvedsky » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Took the train from Almaty to Tashkent, the guard seemed ashamed of asking us to open two backpacks and that was it. Nothing more.
1 x

suofra

Confused about taking medications into Uzbekistan

Postby suofra » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:05 pm

In recent posts in this forum there is conflicting information about taking medications into Uzbekistan; the travel article says there's now no hassle, but in posts people report both being checked and not being checked! One of my daily meds is on the prohibited list....do I still need a letter from my doctor and printed prescriptions? Do I need to go through the red line at Tashkent Airport and present my meds and documents? I really don't want to get deported this minute I arrive! thanks for your help.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Confused about taking medications into Uzbekistan

Postby steven » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:27 am

I haven't read of anyone being thrown in prison since 2017. So in my opinion it's fine.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

suofra

Postby suofra » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:02 am

Thank you, Steven, but i don't understand what "fine" means here! Do you mean that "it's fine that I have all the documents from my doctor and go to the red line", or "fine that I just bring my meds and march through the green line and no one will stop me"?
I am very happy that I finally, after much searching for reliable information on Uzbekistan, I found this forum, and thank you for your help. But I would be even happier to have clarification of exactly what is the right thing for me to do upon arrival!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 am

First of all: it's Central Asia. Everyone has a different experience. So don't try to find some kind of certainty, like "I need to know exactly what is going to happen" or "what is the rule". We cannot tell you. Nobody knows.

Secondly, you are always fine as a tourist. Before, tourists would often go to jail. Now, this does not happen anymore because Uzbekistan wants more tourists. So you cannot do anything wrong, really.

So answer is fine that I just bring my meds and march through the green line and no one will stop me
1 x

suofra

Postby suofra » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:24 am

OMG, you are so right! And you've helped me realise that I've gotten way too stressed about this because I had a bad experience with my medications earlier this year in Greece - they were stolen from my backpack (someone must have thought the kit was my wallet) and I spent a day and a half getting replacements through a tortuous process.
Okay, off to Uzbekistan in just one month and it's going to be a great trip, partially thanks to the advice we've received reading this forum. Thank you again!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:15 am

A. welcome :-)
B. Don't worry, be happy!
0 x