Drones in Central Asia - rules Q&A

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
Lovetheworld

Re: Drones in Central Asia - rules Q&A

Post by Lovetheworld »

I agree, but you could also try to send it to some guest house in Dushanbe. Or buy it in Dushanbe. Okay, it is not like Almaty, but I'm sure you can find a shop to buy a drone there.
1 x

Chuvash

Post by Chuvash »

Hi,

I’m in a similar situation, I plan to travel from Turkmenistan to Xi’An in September and was planing to bring my drone with me. Since there seems to be no way around the Uzbekistan ban, I’m considering sending it to my hotel in Dushanbe and pick it up there.

I’ve got a few questions on that and would apprecite any piece of advice:
1. Can you confirm that I can legally import a drone into Tajikistan without it being seized at customs
2. If so what sort of duty should I expect to pay on it given that I would send it to myself and it’s not new by any mean
3. As I go through Uzbekistan will I be in trouble if I just have spare accessories like batteries with me?
4. Can anyone recommend a service to post the drone, best I can tell DHL, FedEx, and UPS do not deliver parcels in Tajikistan so I’d have to go with Royal Mail

As a side note, in an ideal world I’d like to have the drone with me when I visit Dervaza in Turkmenistan and send it to Dushanbe from Urgench before going through the border. Now I realize this may be a huge pain, but if anyone’s got insights into the inner workings of Turkmen postal services that would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance
0 x

arsenal901

Post by arsenal901 »

Anyone with experience flying into Tashkent with a drone and declaring it at customs? I read one experience where the drone was kept at customs and picked back up on the flight out of the country. I was looking to see if anyone else has had recent experiences.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

About drones in

Tajikistan: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10702
Turkmenistan: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10670
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

blakep76

Post by blakep76 »

Re: Drones in Uzbekistan - I saw this sign at Tashkent Airport this morning....
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (234.44 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
1 x

Torotaxi

Post by Torotaxi »

Sorry to hear everybody's bad experiences in Uzbekistan.

I just wanted to confirm that it is ok to bring a drone into Kazakhstan (Almaty) and cross the border into Kyrgyzstan.

Also, has anybody had any trouble taking a drone into China's Xinjiang province from Kyrgyzstan or Pakistan? As a UK citizen, I'm worried about the China-UK relations wrt Hong Kong situation and they might just confiscate the drone!

Any thoughts

Thanks
0 x

terrymy

Post by terrymy »

When I was in Kyrgyzstan in 2019 my eam and I needed to film landscapes to create archaelogical map. We filmed out of town so we hadn't faced with any troubles while flying this little drone. We specially bought this small one to decrease the possibility of problems and all went well.
0 x

FelipeGonzalez

Drones in Central Asia 2023

Post by FelipeGonzalez »

Hi!

From what I have read, the situation of carrying drones in Central Asia is
- Kazakhstan: Allowed
- Kyrgyzstan: Allowed
- Tajikistan: Banned
- Uzbekistan: Banned

I will arrive at Nursultan Airport, I will go through Kazakhstan and cross the land borders of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan and return to my country through Tashkent Airport.

What is the current situation of the carrying of drones in Central Asia?
Can they hold my drone at the Kyrgyz - Uzbek border?
0 x

arsenal4mylife

Re: Drones in Central Asia 2023

Post by arsenal4mylife »

Very interested in this as well.

I have no intend to use inside Uzbekistan and totally respect the decision of the Uzbeks.

Since I start in Almaty and after a few days there and Bishkek I will fly into Tashkent, I have to mail my drone to the next country.
Does anyone have experience to send parcel from Almaty/Bishkek to Dushanbe? Will it be confiscated by sending parcel into Dushanbe?
0 x

Sefti

Re: Drones in Central Asia 2023

Post by Sefti »

Following this very closely. As I’m travelling overland via motorbike I’ll either have to take my drive with me from the uk or not have it with me at all.

I’m interested to know if anyone has had drones confiscated at borders or if it’s simply not allowed to fly but carrying is ok
0 x