First Timer In Uzbekistan

All about Uzbekistan.
Cardiff Jon

First Timer In Uzbekistan

Postby Cardiff Jon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:23 am

Hi

Going to be in Uzbekistan for 9 days from 18th March and need a little help with a few things.

My flight gets into Tashkent Airport in the very early hours of the Sunday morning, is there anywhere to purchase a small amount of money to pay for a taxi to the hotel or should I pay in USD?

As it’s a Sunday I still need to change money and with the banks closed I could be stuck.
I know they have done away with the black market for money, but are there any exchange places open around the City on this day? I had no problems when in Bishkek On a Sunday last year. If there are places open do they accept British Pound? Would rather change that as the exchange rate is far better 😀

When banks are open do they accept the British Pound?

With what I have planned so far is to take a train from Bukhara to Samarkand on the Wednesday.
Turns out this is the same day as the Persian New Year. Do trains run on this day or will I need to find another mode of transport?

Does anyone know of any good places for beer in Bukhara or Samarkand?
I have all the information on the brew houses in Tashkent but can’t find anything for the above Cities.

I’m sorry if these have been asked in the past but any help really would be appreciated.
So excited to be going to Uzbekistan and just want things to work out for the better.

Thanks for reading

J
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: First Timer In Uzbekistan

Postby steven » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:49 am

Hi Jon!

You can now exchange money in the airport, so that became easy. And they do accept GBP.

Trains definitely run. Might be worthwhile to book in advance. Since everyone has the day off, might be a lot of people who want to travel.

Regarding beer: do you mean proper beer, or is any type of beer fine? I can point you in the direction of some simple shashlik and beer places that are fun, but nothing resembling craft beer. There is of course the wine factory in Samarkand but that's perhaps not what you are looking for.

I would like to see your list of places in Tashkent!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D