Uzbekistan itinerary advice

All about Uzbekistan.
trrk

Uzbekistan itinerary advice

Postby trrk » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:49 pm

We are considering the following 2 options for 2 weeks in Uzbekistan and would appreciate any advice. I am finding it hard to decide whether it is worth including Nukus and Muynaq or taking more time to see the other places and how to divide the days between the other places as I've read a lot of conflicting info on which cities are most interesting/beautiful. We like to explore each city in a relaxed way, return to see places in different light and explore the backstreets etc.

The two itineraries we are considering are (the numbers are the date from 21 Mar to 3 April):

Option 1:
21 March - Arrive Tashkent 9:15 am
22 Train to Samarkand (2h, 8:00-10:08am)
23 Samarkand
24 Samarkand
25 Samarkand (possible day trip to Urgut market or Shagrisabz)
26 Train to Bukhara (2h, 9:43-11:07)
27 Bukhara
28 Bukhara
29 Shared taxi to Khiva (6h?)
30 Khiva
31 Khiva – day trip
1 Fly back to Tashkent (9:35-12:20 or 20:10-21:40)
2 Tashkent
3 April Tashkent, afternoon flight 16:20

Option2
21 March - Arrive Tashkent 9:15 am
22 Tashkent
23 Train to Samarkand (2h)
24 Samarkand
25 Samarkand
26 Train to Bukhara (2h)
27 Bukhara
28 Bukhara
29 Shared taxi to Khiva (6h)
30 Khiva
31 To Nukus via desert castles (taxi)
1 Day trip to Moynaq, flight to Tashkent 19:55 – 21:30
2 Tashkent
3 April Tashkent, afternoon flight 16:20
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Uzbekistan itinerary advice

Postby bwv812 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Whatever you decide, it's best to go Tashkent-Bukhara-Samarkand-Urgench/Nukus. This way you can do all legs by train, and also take the overnight train to Bukhara. The road from Bukhara to Khiva is no fun.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:41 am

I am going to advise you not to go to Moynaq. You seem to be interested primarily in art, beauty, history, local culture. That is why you are coming to Uzbekistan.

Khiva has a lot of that. But it is a small place, nicest in the evening when the shadows lengthen. So you can get out during the day on the second day to visit the Nukus museum and the Qalas, and return in the evening for sundowners on the rooftop of your bnb.

Moynaq is really far away, and there is nothing to see but a natural catastrophe you already know all about. Of course, it's impressive to see the absence of water with your own eyes, but it's mostly just a lot of sitting in the car. I advise to take your time and leave Moynaq out.

Enjoy the trip! I am in the process of writing about Bukhara and it's great to relive it while digging through Islamic architecture tomes.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

trrk

Postby trrk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks very much for the advice. I think I underestimated how long it takes to get from Nukus to Moynaq - I had read somewhere that it only took 1.5 hr but then I checked more carefully and it seems like 3 hr each way is more realistic. In that case I think I won't visit Moynaq. Although I am interested in the Nukus art museum I'm not sure if it is worth the effort of travelling there just for one museum so might just stick to option 1. In that case would you go for the morning or evening flight back to Tashkent? I'm not sure if we will be bored in Khiva after 1 full day or if we might appreciate the extra time to explore the back streets etc
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:48 am

One day in Khiva is enough I would say. You can do the backstreets on the first day. The second day would be for Nukus and the fortresses if you decide to go up there.

The thing with Khiva is, it's really beautiful, but really small. So you cannot keep looking at the same thing for hours on end, but you can be enchanted with it over and over again each time you return.

So it's a nice place to get away from during the day and return to in the evening.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D