Uzbekistan for vegetarians/vegans

All about Uzbekistan.
steven
Admin
Admin

Uzbekistan for vegetarians/vegans

Postby steven » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:33 am

Please post your tips for vegetarian/vegan food and restaurants in Uzbekistan below!

We summarize all information on the Silk Road food page.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Cardiff Jon

Re: Uzbekistan for vegetarians/vegans

Postby Cardiff Jon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am

Hi!

I can help with this one as went there back in March to what was one of the best trips I have ever done 😀 I’m a strict vegetarian but not a vegan.

Bukhara Restaurants :

Old Bukhara Restaurant- This was one of the best places I ate on the trip, I went there twice and ate like a king for such cheap prices. They do a fair few vegetarian items, I had the veggie lagman both times plus fried potatoes and of course a Georgian cheese filled bread! This place also does a good selection of Uzbek wine so each meal was washed down with a bottle of red.

Bedriddin - Went there for lunch the one and again very good food. Pretty sure I had their potato and pumpkin manti with a vegetable and potato Shashik

There are also loads of places dotted around which make samsa, a few I tried did cheese or vegetable filled ones.

Samarkand Restaurants:

Platan - Very nice and relaxed kind of place. From what I can remember I orderd a very tasty lentil soup to start but can’t remember the main course sorry.

Cafe Magistr - If you fancy a change then this place does loads of different pizza, their lentil soup is also good plus the prices are so cheap!

Pulsar Brewery Bar - this place is a MUST if you so to Samarkand! Good beer at such low prices! They also do cheap food which can be done veggie if asked for. One of the barman who works there has perfect English, such a great guy to talk to and sorted me out with food after a very heavy session drinking one evening. They do veggie shashik, chips, rice etc just enough to soak up the beer. If anyone on here does go there please tell the barman Jonathan from Wales says HELLO and that I will see him when I go back March 2019

Plenty of bakeries/ Samsa places near the amazing bazaar around which do veggie options.

Tashkent Restaurants:

The Host- Indian food and plenty of veggie items on the menu! As always I go for the chana masala (chick pea curry), bread and rice. Got there just before closing one night so only person there, the guy running the place was really nice and understood me when I said I would like the curry VERY spicy! Again very good prices which is always a bonus.

Sunduk - Now this was a real gem of a place and I urge you all to try out the food there. It’s only a small place, almost like eating in someone’s living room. Here I had a vegetable soup, potato and spinach filled ravioli and a side of chips.
They really do make you feel welcome there and the food was delicious.

Afsona- ate here on my last night in Tashkent and as always the food was great and so was the prices. Here Inhad a lentil soup to start and then potato shashik, veggie filled dumplings, and a serving of their home made achik sauce.

As you can see there is plenty of options/choices for eating and what to eat, you are not going to starve so have no fear if you think you might struggle over there. It really is a great place to where the food was good, good beer/ wine and the people were just great and so nice. I will be going back in March 2019 and can’t wait!

Hope this helps

Jonathan
4 x

laghubhara

Postby laghubhara » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:38 am

Just to add some additional info to Cardiff Jon's excellent post:

In Bukhara, Budreddin is the cheapest place to eat (still expensive) and also had some of the nicest food. With normal portion sizes, so not as minuscule as some of the other restaurants :D
There's also an Italian restaurant to the East, Bella Italia, which is quite good.

In Samarkand, the Cafe Magistr has huge portions! If you live on the other side of the city, Bibikhanum Chaikhana also has a surprisingly big amount of vegetarian options: UZ spaghetti (vegetarian Lagman), vegetarian samsa, and vegetarian shashlik. The later you come, the less choice there will be.

In Tashkent, we enjoyed the spaghetti at Syndyk Café. There are two Indian restaurants which are the worst Indian restaurants I've ever eaten at. But they are vegetarian: The Host and one is in a hotel whose name escapes me right now. If I remember, I'll update the post.

Generally: You will always survive on salad and bread. That's the most consistent vegetarian offering.
2 x

Cardiff Jon

Postby Cardiff Jon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:25 am

Hi

Thanks for the nice comment on my post.

I will be back in Uzbekistan March 2019 and can’t wait to visit this great country again :D

Do you have an address for the restaurant Bibikhanum Chaikhana ? I have had a look but can’t find much about it. Any information would be great as a t would be good to visit there.

Big thanks!

Jonathan
0 x

laghubhara

Postby laghubhara » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Hello Jonathan!

I hope you find many more great vegetarian options the next time in Uzbekistan! :)
This is the Google Maps entry for Bibikhanum Chaikhana: Bibikhanum Teahouse
Street 22A, Samarkand
8 91 537 84 73

https://maps.google.com/?cid=5531354908977729096

All the best!
Laghubhara
0 x

Cardiff Jon

Postby Cardiff Jon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you so much for this!
I walked passed this place a few times without giving a second thought when there.
I will be eating there on my next visit :D
Thanks again.
Jonathan
1 x

Lovetheworld

Postby Lovetheworld » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:30 am

In Khiva it is also fine to eat in the known restaurants, they have vegatarian options (vegan maybe not)
I think at least a vegetarian Pilav / Plov in the Art Restaurant
1 x

Sleepflower91

Postby Sleepflower91 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Lovetheworld wrote:In Khiva it is also fine to eat in the known restaurants, they have vegatarian options (vegan maybe not)
I think at least a vegetarian Pilav / Plov in the Art Restaurant

Second this, Bir Gumbaz offers a number of their dishes with pumpkin instead of meat.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:08 pm

This came in via e-mail:

We found some good/okay restaurants in Tashkent, Bukhara and Samarkand, basically the ones that make TripAdvisor lists and/or the forum feed below. The lentil soup was a good veggie shout.

However, in Bukhara, Samarkand, Khiva, and also of course in the Sentyeb homestay in the Nuratau mountains, we found relying on home cooking from guesthouses, particularly for dinner, was the best thing to do.

Our best tip to fellow veggies is to order food in the morning for that evening, and they will be prepared a full vegetarian feast. We either ordered at the guesthouses we were staying in, or if they didn't do food (or didn't understand the concept of vegetarian, i.e. noting they could pick the meat out the plov), finding other guesthouses which did and asking there. They didn't mind if we weren't guests.

Also going in around Autumn time seems important, as lots of pumpkin options were on offer!

Some particular mentions:

The vegetarian food at Antica was amazing, so we ate there almost every meal! We ordered plov in the morning for lunch one day, and the most delicious vegetarian plov (featuring half boiled eggs) was served, with a whole host of lovely salads to accompany it. As we were staying guests, the hosts were more than happy to keep our leftovers that we couldn't finish and heat them back up for us for dinner for free. So we ended up getting two meals for the price of one that day. We also had dinner another night in the 19th century house part of Antica, and that was also very vegetarian friendly.

In Bukhara we ate at Komil B&B, where they serve you food in the old and beautifully decorated 19th century dining room. Excellent cabbage salad and grilled aubergine.

In Khiva, we had a lovely vegetarian dinner of tikva manti on the rooftop of Meros.

Khiva/ Khorezm also serve vegetarians well through their local dish of tuqum barak (dumplings with eggs inside). We got a really fun driver (his name is Alisher Boyjonov, he features in the German DK guide to Uzbekistan as well) to take us round the fortresses, and when he found out we were vegetarian he insisted on finding us a restaurant for lunch in Urgench that would serve them.

Rakhima in Sentyeb also made us lovely vegetarian food. She also made us tuqum barak!

The only place we really struggled was Ferghana Valley. We stayed in Kokand and struggled to find anywhere decent to eat, partly because the restaurant next to Hotel Kokand was booked for a raucous wedding party. However, we could rely on markets for bread, tomatoes, melon, cucumbers and nuts etc, which also served us well as lunch in many other places.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Smoketti

Postby Smoketti » Thu May 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Sunduk in Tashkent. What to tell the taxi driver to get me there? Can someone tell the address or what it is located next to? Thanks.
0 x