Travelling from Urgench to Tashkent

All about Uzbekistan.
akbermo

Travelling from Urgench to Tashkent

Post by akbermo »

We're a group of 7 Adults and 1 Toddler travelling from Urgench to Tashkent following the below itinerary:

25-Aug Urgench
26-Aug Khiva
27-Aug Khiva
28-Aug Bukhara
29-Aug Bukhara
30-Aug Samarkand
31-Aug Samarkand
1-Sep Tashkent

Question I have is to train or not to train?

I have a friend who is from Uzbekistan who recommended driving but I'm not so sure for two reasons:
1. We're tourists and not keen on car rental
2. We're an awkward size so we don't all fit in one car or even one van if we include luggage

Can anyone advise based on their/knowledge and experience on what the best method of transport between the locations I've listed above?

Cheers!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Travelling from Urgench to Tashkent

Post by steven »

Your friend means that there used to not be a train between Urgench and Bukhara. There is one now, but it does not run every day. So you can go by train all the way and it is generally more comfortable.

Especially the fast trains between Bukhara, Samarkand and Tashkent are a much better option than driving.

Also, there is nothing to see in Urgench, so you might want to spend more time in another city.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

akbermo

Post by akbermo »

Thanks for your reply, I looked at the time table and couldn't see a train service that runs to Khiva?

EDIT: yes no train services to Khiva, would you travel by road to Khiva from Urgench? How would you get back on the train network from Khiva, drive back to Urgench or another destination?

EDIT2: to be more clear, whats the best way to detour to Khiva if you plan on using trains?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Yes, trains run to Urgench, then taxi to Khiva. It's half hour drive.
0 x

akbermo

Post by akbermo »

Thanks Steven, last question - where would you add the extra day we have up our sleeve since we're no longer spending a night in Urgench?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Good question. Either Tashkent or Bukhara. I already have a guide to Tashkent: https://caravanistan.com/center/tashkent, you can see if it is a place you would be interested in to spend an extra day. I like to think so.

You can also take that day to go into the mountains above Tashkent.

3 days in Bukhara is also not bad, you can really see everything, though some people who are not that interested in architecture, history, religiion, report getting bored after day 2.
0 x

akbermo

Post by akbermo »

Steven, do you have more information on this train between Urgench and Bukhara? Is it via Samarkand or is there a more direct line now?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

0 x