Where to exchange Uzbek sum outside Uzbekistan?

All about Uzbekistan.
Celiou.g

Exchange Uzbek sum in Kyrgyz som?

Post by Celiou.g »

Hello,
I'm actually on my way to Kyrgystan from Uzbekistan but i still have many sums wich are quiet impossible to exchange in dollars from here. So i'm wondering if any of you had this problem before and could change it in som in Osh or evene Bishkek?
Thank you
0 x

Celiou.g

Re: Exchange Uzbek sum in Kyrgyz som?

Post by Celiou.g »

In deed. I found some people at the border keen to exchange my soum in som but the rate was very low... however i saw in Osh some banks welling to change it too ( not better rate ) so if other prople are wandering the same question you get an answer. As Steven said, it's better to spend everything before, but in the case that you cant its not completly lost.
0 x

dan6681

Where to exchange Uzbek sum outside Uzbekistan?

Post by dan6681 »

I had a hostel owner that bought UZS back from me in USD. The commission was around 10%, but at the time I was worried I wouldn't be able to get rid of it. However on the train from Tashkent to Almaty I was able to change UZS to Tenge at less than 1%. So in the end I would have been better off waiting and taking tenge, which would have been fine :-). I'm talking about 40USD equivalent in exchangeable currency so it isn't a big deal, but YMMV.
1 x