Question About Train from Tashkent to Samarkand

All about Uzbekistan.
RoverAllover

Question About Train from Tashkent to Samarkand

Postby RoverAllover » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi All,

Will be travelling to Astana next Feb, and then onwards to either India or China.

Uzbekistan looks amazing on youtube videos, Samarkand seems like the place to visit to explore historic Uzbekistan.

I have searched extensively with skyscanner and it seems most flights from Kazakhstan travel to Tashkent.

There are domestic flights from Tashkent to Samarkand but there is also a high speed rail.

Would it be feasible to fly to Tashkent, take the train to Samarkand to sightsee for 2 days and then back
to Tashkent to fly onwards?

The best route I have found is Moscow to Samarkand a direct flight, which would be perfect as then
it would be a case of travelling onto Tashkent. - However I already have tickets to Astana so the Itinerary would start there
and it seems all flights are to Tashkent and no direct flights to Samarkand.

All international flights onwards seems to leave from Tashkent or transit Tashkent.

Many thanks
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Question About Train from Tashkent to Samarkand

Postby Julia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 am

Hi.
I travelled that way. Highly recommend Uzbek fast trains.
Don't need to look for direct flights to Samarkand, just use the train.
I also went to Bukhara by the train. If you have 1-2 extra days include Bukhara too.
I liked Bukhara more than Samarkand. But tastes differ))
Anyway those cities are close to each other and when you're there I'd take a chance to visit both of them.
0 x

RoverAllover

Re: Question About Train from Tashkent to Samarkand

Postby RoverAllover » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Thankyou Julia that's most helpful,

Looking forward to visiting Samarkand, will try and add some more days to see Bukhara too.

It would be great if there were flights from Astana/Almaty to Bukhara or Samarkand.

If its Tashkent to Samarkand/Bukhara by train and back to Tashkent then so be it.

This is one of the most fascinating travel destinations just watching a documentary on The people, history and culture of Uzbekistan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoH2bU9xADg

Many Thanks
0 x