Homestays / Public transport in South Uzbekistan

All about Uzbekistan.
Melnavots

Homestays / Public transport in South Uzbekistan

Post by Melnavots »

Heya folks, a new user here.

Me and my gf will be traveling in Uzbekistan this March. We plan to spend time in Surkhandarya and Qashqadaryo, preferably outside towns and close to nature as much as possible. What I'm trying to figure out is:

- Are there any opportunities for unorganized homestays? That is, if we showed up in a village and asked locals if we could stay with them, is there a chance some would be open to the idea? We would be glad to pay, of course. I speak Russian, in case that's useful.

- Is there any sort of public transportation between the villages? Or do you need to take a local taxi everywhere you wanna go?

Apologize if these questions have already been answered elsewhere, feel free to direct me there.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Homestays / Public transport in South Uzbekistan

Post by steven »

Melnavots wrote: Are there any opportunities for unorganized homestays? That is, if we showed up in a village and asked locals if we could stay with them, is there a chance some would be open to the idea? We would be glad to pay, of course. I speak Russian, in case that's useful..
Definitely possible, I have done that in the past. If you just rock up to a random village, good chance they have never seen a tourist. You'll be very welcome. I once had to show my passport to a woman to prove that I was a foreigner. She couldn't believe it, thought I was from Tashkent :lol:

In short, lots of interesting meetings await you, armed with your knowledge of Russian.
Melnavots wrote:- Is there any sort of public transportation between the villages? Or do you need to take a local taxi everywhere you wanna go?
There are marshrutkas and shared taxis. Depending on when and where you are going, hitchhiking could be a lot quicker.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D