Aral sea / visit Kantubek

All about Uzbekistan.
isazyr

Aral sea / visit Kantubek

Post by isazyr »

Hi all of you, I am new here!

We are two people prospecting the possibility to visit the former soviet secret bioweapon city, Kantubek/Aralsk-7. The main plan is to visit in one day starting from Moynaq early morning and coming back late evening. Could anyone of you give us contact with a reliable driver with a 4x4 based in Monyaq? We could also consider to book 4x4 and driver in Nukus although we are afraid this alternative would be to hard to manage financially.

Thanks in advance for any information
Isabelle
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Aral sea / visit Kantubek

Post by steven »

Hi Isabelle, that sounds really interesting! Have you read about other people visiting this place already? First time I read about people doing this.

About the driver: for a budget option, either arrange it on the spot in Moynaq or try searching Instagram. I don't have any phone numbers myself sorry.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Murikov

Post by Murikov »

Does anyone have any more recent information about visiting Kantubek / Aralsk-7 from Moynaq?

I heard a brief mention by Bald and Bankrupt in one of his videos (can't find the video anymore though), that the place was closed down recently or is inaccessible.
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

some two years ago kantubek was anihilated, all the ruins were destroyed and the area was razed to the ground by bulldozers. i cannot find the website but i guess i've seen the pictures on a local journalist's site. and i think steven has mentioned about it on caravanistan.
1 x
rgds -
mazeno

murg

Post by murg »

We have been in Moynaq Mai 2019. When we were there we met a couple travelling with a Land Cruiser. They tried to visit Kantubek but couldn't make it.

Unfortunately I can't recall the Reason.
1 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

Murikov

Post by Murikov »

mazeno wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:17 pm
some two years ago kantubek was anihilated, all the ruins were destroyed and the area was razed to the ground by bulldozers. i cannot find the website but i guess i've seen the pictures on a local journalist's site. and i think steven has mentioned about it on caravanistan.
Thanks a lot for the reply! Oh man, what a shame. This is once more an example of how you should go to a place before things change.

Do you know by chance more interesting places in the Aral Sea area like big ship graveyards or abandoned places?
murg wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:40 am
We have been in Moynaq Mai 2019. When we were there we met a couple travelling with a Land Cruiser. They tried to visit Kantubek but couldn't make it.

Unfortunately I can't recall the Reason.
Thanks for your input - I can imagine it must have been quite difficult to get there even when it still existed - like 200 kilometers through bad desert roads and paths.
0 x

Condor

Post by Condor »

I thought that it was only partially demolished, based on Google satellite images. How wrong I was. Drove up there the other day. Don't bother, nothing to see.
2 x