Uzbek train travel general Q&A

All about Uzbekistan.
janeswain

Uzbek train travel general Q&A

Postby janeswain » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:59 pm

Hi I have read the other posts about buying train tickets for Uzbekistan and the advice from Caravanistan about using a local agent. Congratulations to throe who have bought tickets online!I have been unable to make the Uzbek Railways site work. I have tried one of the Russian sites but that tells me the train is full (even if I pick the furthest date in advance that is available) which I do not believe . My questions are: 1) if I just leave buying a ticket until I arrive in Taskent will I be able to get one for the next day? Do the trains really get booked up? 2) The Caravanistan website says it can cost 4 x more to use an agent. But what is the standard price for a ticket from Tashkent to Samakand for example? (4 x a low price may be acceptable.) 3) It is just easier to join a tour!!
Thanks for your help.
0 x

christye

Re: Uzbek train travel

Postby christye » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:47 am

An agent who can get the correct ticket, in the correct format (paper, e-ticket, etc) READ the thing, stand behind it, and deliver it to me is worth plenty of gold to me. If I am not trying to keep a schedule, and if I have no timeframe, and if I read/speak some Russian, and if I am on a tight budget - maybe not. But that is not me, not this trip. I'll budget for the convenience and assurance, figuring if I do it myself I will have to rebuy at least some of the tickets when I screw something up, and there won't be anybody to call for help but me! Nevermind that I miss a connection, (sleep on a bench at the train station), lose a paid hotel night, etc etc etc. We are all different, and as in our home countries, cheaper is not always less expensive in the long run :). My 2 cents...I will post a trip report when we finish our trip!
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Milad » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:26 am

I have tried one of the Russian sites but that tells me the train is full (even if I pick the furthest date in advance that is available) which I do not believe .

Most probably, Russian trains are already open for sale (90 days before) but Uzbek trains are not yet open for sale (45 days before); unfortunately RŽD (Russian Railways) translate the error message they get from UTY (Uzbek Railways) when trying to book tickets in this timeframe as "sold out", which is certainly not the case. Try to book more or less exactly 45 days before your train leaves.

if I just leave buying a ticket until I arrive in Taskent will I be able to get one for the next day?

Probably yes, but in high season probably no fast train and on really strong travel days all trains may sell out.

But what is the standard price for a ticket from Tashkent to Samakand for example?

Depending on the train, class, season and day between 7 and 30 USD. 10 USD should be standard for a slower train, fast train maybe 15.

3) It is just easier to join a tour

Well, if you're over 60 and like to be rushed through the main sights this might be the case.
1 x

christye

Postby christye » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:48 am

Milad,
There are more options than that even if near 60...:(
But I appreciate all the other information!:)
0 x

janeswain

Re: Uzbek train travel general Q&A

Postby janeswain » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:58 am

Thanks Milad for all the info, still can't decide what to do though, but this is definitely a help.
0 x

mbolhouse

Postby mbolhouse » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi there - I'm in Uzbekistan now and recently went through figuring out the trains. I also could not get the website to work (didn't recognize my registration). I bought 2 Afrosiyab (high speed rail) tickets from Tashkent-Samarkand 1.5 days before travel (in early April) in person from the train ticket office. There was one counter inside with an English speaker. It was counter 10 on the day I went but I'm sure it changes. For reference, my tickets cost 105,000 som (~$12). I asked for the cheapest tickets but we still ended up in a VIP coach. Once at a ticket counter you can purchase all of your onward travel train tickets at the same time. There are a number of train services between cities, so even if one is full (I haven't seen any full trains yet) there are probably other options. Another trick I started using was looking up the train ticket I wanted on the website, taking a picture of it or writing down the info in Russian, and using that at the ticket counter in case English fails. Don't forget to bring your passport to the ticket office!

I would recommend against joining a tour unless you really want the company, it's not hard to DIY if you have google translate and a ready smile!
1 x

Kiwi

Postby Kiwi » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:24 am

Hello there,
Don't know where to post this but the shop to buy train ticket in bukhara has changed
Train ticket (new location)
Mes endroits • Billetterie
ge0://4ztHRuqXWk/Train_ticket_%28new_location%29
http://ge0.me/4ztHRuqXWk/Train_ticket_% ... ocation%29

(Tell me if I succeeded in sharing the location... :') )
We reached there at 17.40 and they were closed (but still chatting inside )
3 x

PolyP.

Postby PolyP. » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 am

Kiwi wrote:Hello there,
Don't know where to post this but the shop to buy train ticket in bukhara has changed
Train ticket (new location)
Mes endroits • Billetterie
ge0://4ztHRuqXWk/Train_ticket_%28new_location%29
http://ge0.me/4ztHRuqXWk/Train_ticket_% ... ocation%29

(Tell me if I succeeded in sharing the location... :') )
We reached there at 17.40 and they were closed (but still chatting inside )

Hey kiwi,
Thanks a lot for adding the location on maps.me! We were standing in front of the old location to find a big construction site (same spot the caravanistan page about Bukhara shows). So we decided to walk to the location you marked as new ticket office and found it there and bought our train tickets. :) It's about 30 minutes walk from the old town, you can also take the bus #9 to go there.
0 x

littlev0ices

Postby littlev0ices » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:06 am

Rather than starting a new thread I had another general train question to add on.

I'm travelling Tashkent - Samarkand and Samarkand - Bukhara in October. On my dates the Afrosiyob trains are sold out (I've tried both the online website and also tried a few agents including the Caravanistan ones without any joy. As such I've booked the slower trains, but this will waste my time, which is tight, and when I planned my trip many months ago I wanted to get some of the early morning Afrosiyob trains. In hindsight for an exact train maybe I should have gotten an agent waiting on day 45, I first looked on about day 43 without joy!

However, I've noticed that if I change the stations for the route there are seats, e.g. I can do Tashkent to Bukhara.

I've had similar things before in China on train availability and one of the 'fixes' was to book the longer ticket then just leave earlier (or get on later). I realise I would be paying a lot of "wasted" money, but it isn't much where I live for a few extra hours exploring a city in which I'll only be spending a day or two. Is this anyone has tried or have a view on?
0 x

Fuller

Postby Fuller » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:33 am

littlev0ices wrote:Rather than starting a new thread I had another general train question to add on.

I'm travelling Tashkent - Samarkand and Samarkand - Bukhara in October. On my dates the Afrosiyob trains are sold out (I've tried both the online website and also tried a few agents including the Caravanistan ones without any joy. As such I've booked the slower trains, but this will waste my time, which is tight, and when I planned my trip many months ago I wanted to get some of the early morning Afrosiyob trains. In hindsight for an exact train maybe I should have gotten an agent waiting on day 45, I first looked on about day 43 without joy!

However, I've noticed that if I change the stations for the route there are seats, e.g. I can do Tashkent to Bukhara.

I've had similar things before in China on train availability and one of the 'fixes' was to book the longer ticket then just leave earlier (or get on later). I realise I would be paying a lot of "wasted" money, but it isn't much where I live for a few extra hours exploring a city in which I'll only be spending a day or two. Is this anyone has tried or have a view on?

I originally booked 2 X Sharq train journeys about a month in advance as the Afrosiyob sold out. However, for the Bukhara to Tashkent leg I waited and kept checking online and found that 5 days before I intended to travel a number of Afrosiyob tickets were released. My advice would be to wait it out if you are flexible. If not, the Sharq trains are decent and only a bit slower. Lastly, the agents themselves don't seem to know when the Afrosiyob tickets go on sale. I would do as they do and check on a daily basis.
2 x