Uzbek sum exchange rates

All about Uzbekistan.
Traveller11

Re: Uzbek sum exchange rates

Post by Traveller11 »

Not sure where you are based but some Credit/Debit Cards have a limit imposed by their banks when using an ATM for a Cash Advance, so you might find that this will limit you...........
But if you are, then you can always go back the following day and get the same amount again.

I have used that in the past.
0 x

robert

Post by robert »

The ATM I tried today gave a maximum of 40.000 Som, which is around 8 USD. There was also an ATM which gives USD. Exchange rate should be the official rate (around 8000 Som = 1 USD).
1 x

Traveller11

Post by Traveller11 »

At 40,000 Som/8 USD it seems like the ATM's have not been 'updated' to provide the now Bank Rate of 8000 Som for 1 USD.

So if you have USD then it would make sense to use the Bank and forget about the ATM?
BUT make sure what the rate is in the Bank before you take the plunge, or you might find the water is not that deep!!!
0 x

robert

Post by robert »

Sorry, that was my mistake, the 40.000 should be worth around 5 USD.

By the way, the exchange rate which applies when taking money from an ATM depends on your credit card vendor. For VISA-Cards you can look that up here. They are already giving 8000 Soms per USD.

The point is that the ATM doesn't give out very much money, so if you want to pay a hotel you would end up visiting the ATM quite often.
0 x

Traveller11

Post by Traveller11 »

Glad you got the full rate!
We were advised to take USD with us to pay for the accommodation due to the Government Requirements while asking some of the places we will be staying they also told us that they accept Visa or MasterCard.

You might like to get yourself a MasterCard Credit Card that if you put money on it before you leave home and then use it in an ATM you will get top exchange rate and pay no commission.
BUT make sure you do the transaction in the currency of the country you are in as some banks try to put your transaction through in the currency of your home country and give you a low exchange rate to do it!!!
0 x

Ewcyna

Post by Ewcyna »

Had a very good experience to exchange USD dollars at the first Bank I came across in a small village in Fergana valley.. just handed in money and received exchange in brand new 50000 notes.. no passport needed
0 x

Traveller11

Post by Traveller11 »

The USD Exchange Rate at the Banks for the last 12 days has been 8000Som for $1 USD.

While those kind 'guys' on the Black Market have been offering between 6000 & 7000 Som for $1 USD! :evil:

Needless to say I stuck with the Banks, as they are normally open after 17:00hrs and also on Saturdays, while you do NOT need to present your Passport. :D

Just make sure your Dollars are in excellent condition and the ink has dried!!! :D :D
1 x

Uncle_Iroh

Post by Uncle_Iroh »

1USD exchange rate on October 9th was 8,000som.

In Khiva and Bukhara I was able to exchange USD to som in my hotels. In the bigger cities of Samarkand and Tashkent, they will tell you to go to the banks.
1 x

dan6681

Post by dan6681 »

Can I exchange som back to dollars? I have a certificate that seems to say I can? Has anyone done this?
0 x

Traveller11

Post by Traveller11 »

You would need to go to a Bank and enquire.

I seem to remember a figure of 8150 Som required to get 1 US$ being displayed in the exchange office window of one of the banks I used to get the Som for US$.

Outside of Uzbekistan I don't think you will find anyone who will take them off you!
1 x