Post by Aliya »

Hi Steven, that's me :)
happy to join your forum!
0 x

maximminga

Re: Uzbek sum exchange rates

Post by maximminga »

Hello everybody,

Has anyone experiences with exchanging EUROs in Uzbekistan, are EUROs commonly accepted on the black market?

And with regard to US $, are there notes that can be more easily exchanged, e.g. will it be easy to find someone willing to exchange a $100 note or are people usually looking for smaller notes?

I will be travelling end of September, beginnging of October. So far I don't have any experience with exchanging money on the black market but I understand that it is quite common and tolerated in Uzbekistan. Are there any special rules one should follow?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks and regards
Max
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Dollars are preferred. You can exchange euro but it will be the same rate as dollar and it will be more difficult to find someone who is willing to exchange. All notes are welcome, 100$ is fine.

I advise not to exchange with the guys on the bazaar, as it's difficult to count so much quickly on the street with everyone watching. I always exchanged with the help of a hotel, or inside a shop. Much more relaxing. Ask locals where they exchange if you still need contacts.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

maximminga

Post by maximminga »

hey steven,

thank you so much for your answer!

That was exactly my worry, how to count and stow away safely all this money on a bustling bazaar?
But I will keep to your advice and try to find more relaxed surroundings... if hotels can help, it should not be a problem I guess.

I will be posting exchange rates at the end of september!

Best regards
Max
1 x

maximminga

Post by maximminga »

26 sept 2015

arrived on an early flight in tashkent, and took the first, i.e. most expensive, Taxi driver to take us to our hostel. He immediately offered to exchange our dollars to UZS. I tried to push the rate to 4000, but he insisted on his rate:

1 DOLLAR = 3500 UZS

he told us that it's more safe in the taxi than out on the street, hence the lower rate. at 4:30 am, it just wasn't the time to discuss any longer, we exchanged some dollars and went to bed. While it was quite practical to already have some som in the pocket next morning, we hope to find a better rate next time.
1 x

maximminga

Post by maximminga »

29 sept 2015

1 DOLLAR = 4830 UZS

exchanged in Margilan, close to the bazar.
We made the acquaintance of a very nice and helpful, English speaking Uzbek the day before who made sure that we get a good rate.
1 x

Fredron

Post by Fredron »

We exchanged dollar 3 times in the last couple of days and 4800 seems to be the current rate.
1 x

maximminga

Post by maximminga »

We exchanged dollars two more times...

7 Oct 2015 in Bukhara, close to Lab-i Hauz
10 Oct 2015 in Tashkent, at the roundabout Shahrisabz/Mirobod/Shota Rustaveli (a guy with a car is waiting at the small parking lot in front of the Kontinent department store virtually 24/7)

Both times we got

1 DOLLAR = 4700 UZS
1 x

ExitMusic

Post by ExitMusic »

Spoke to someone today who was travelling through Uzbekistan last week and was getting 1$ = 5500 UZS consistently.

Heading there soon, so will share if this is still the case in a few weeks.
1 x

NOMADasaurus

Post by NOMADasaurus »

Exchanged money today at the Chosur Bazaar in Tashkent.

US$1 = 5500 UZS
1 x
Travelling from Thailand to South Africa without flying - http://www.nomadasaurus.com