Mobile phone and sim card registration in Uzbekistan

All about Uzbekistan.
SophieIbbotson

Re: Second time in Uzbekistan with same phone - IMEI registration?

Post by SophieIbbotson »

Hi Sebastian
Unfortunately it is the handset not the SIM which has to be registered, so putting in a local SIM won’t get. If you want to use the same handset you used on your previous trip you will need to go to the UZUMEI office to register it. Alternatively, if you have an old handset that still works (or can borrow one from a friend), you could use that for this trip.
Best,
Sophie
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Thanks, Sophie! So just to make sure I got this right: Since I used the phone last year, it now won't work even if I want to access the internet via roaming on a Kazakh or Kyrgyz SIM-card?
Sebastian
0 x

RollingTreeHouse

Post by RollingTreeHouse »

sebhoff wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:00 pm
So just to make sure I got this right: Since I used the phone last year, it now won't work even if I want to access the internet via roaming on a Kazakh or Kyrgyz SIM-card?
I would say no, as I have used an Uzbek SIM card in my phone (without an IMEI registration) and used the same phone with a foreign SIM card on a later visit to Uzbekistan a couple months later.
0 x

perryj

Re: Uzbekistan where to buy a phone SIM card

Post by perryj »

Bought a SIM at the Beeline main office just off Amir Temur square, all very quick and easy - they just checked my passport and registration card from my guesthouse and then set it all up. 60,000 som for 15gb.
0 x

RollingTreeHouse

Just adding that Tashkent South station has a kiosk selling SIM cards of multiple providers that is able to do the registration and activation for foreigners within 15 minutes.
This might be useful for people on overnight trains between Andijan and Samarkand/Bukhara/Khiva who want to buy an Uzbek SIM card and haven't had the chance to do so yet.
2 x

gorgich

SIM cards and registration in Uzbekistan

Post by gorgich »

Hi!

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a local SIM card at the airport upon arrival in Uzbekistan like you do in most countries? I've read somewhere that purchasing a SIM card requires registration which probably means you need to get to the hotel first, did I get this right? By the way, for those who've traveled to Uzbekistan recently, did you have your registration checked at the border when leaving?
0 x

RollingTreeHouse

Re: SIM cards and registration in Uzbekistan

This thread will answer your question about where to get your Uzbek SIM upon arrival.
The registration is done by the person selling you the SIM card and is not related to the registration at your accommodation so you can buy a SIM card before arriving at your first accommodation.

As for the accommodation registration, I have left Uzbekistan with and without being asked about them.
0 x

gorgich

Re: SIM cards and registration in Uzbekistan

Post by gorgich »

Thank you for your reply! Do you know if the availability of SIM cards at the airport only applies to Tashkent? I'm flying to Urgench.
0 x

wfqfw

Post by wfqfw »

I bought one at the bazaar in Andijan. The guy there asked for my passport and took a picture of me while I held the passport (an alternative to registration since I didn't have one yet?)
0 x

alwaystouchout

Re: Mobile phone and sim card registration in Uzbekistan

Post by alwaystouchout »

Does a phone need to be IMEI registered if you enter multiple times within the 30 day period?
0 x