ATM situation in Uzbekistan

All about Uzbekistan.
ikatsi

Re: ATM situation in Uzbekistan

Post by ikatsi »

Thanks, both! Better get some more USD with me then!
0 x

nabeelfarid

Post by nabeelfarid »

Just wanted to confirm if there is any black market rate for Uzbekistan ?
0 x

netllama

Post by netllama »

nabeelfarid wrote:Just wanted to confirm if there is any black market rate for Uzbekistan ?
No, that was discontinued long ago.
0 x

Bethany

Post by Bethany »

nabeelfarid wrote:Just wanted to confirm if there is any black market rate for Uzbekistan ?
No. The rate we have had at banks has been very reasonable though.
To clarify on an earlier response I have had no issues exchanging $50 and $100 notes but they were pristine. In 1 bank in Fergana valley I had to show a passport to exchange, otherwise been very easy.
0 x

Bartover

Re: ATM situation in Uzbekistan and useful discovery

Post by Bartover »

I found a place where you can withdraw dollars with your MasterCard in Samarkand. Very nice because we were heading to Turkmenistan and just needed some extra dollars more to be sure.
It's located in the Asaka Bank office. Google Maps don't think the bank exists but the exact location is: 39,6578401, 66,9640631. It's open on Monday to Saturday from 10am-4pm.
Ask the receptionist for dollars withdrawal and she will lead you to a desk where that is possible.
I needed 800$ and 812$ are withdrawn from my bank account
2 x

pvanpeters

Post by pvanpeters »

Is it common for ATMs to accept Maestro cards, besides Mastercard/Visa, like the ATMs in Russia do? Considering ATM withdrawal rates on my Mastercard are pretty steep...

Additional non-ATM question: how common is it for hotels (besides the high-end chains) to accept Mastercard/Visa for payment or should I expect to pay with cash?
0 x

netllama

Post by netllama »

No where that I stayed took credit cards of any kind. The country is basically a cash economy.
1 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

No one will accept Maestro and my impression last year was that options to withdraw money with a Mastercard are extremely limited (only in a few big international hotels in Tashkent and Samarkand, just one Mastercard ATM in Bukhara last year), with visa, there should be a few more options. Card payment will be possible in high-end chains and maybe also some middle-class hotels by now (certainly not in hostels, B&Bs and similar places). To be on the safe side, I'd expect to pay cash everywhere.
3 x

pearly

Post by pearly »

Hi all - I have a similar question regarding ATMS and exchange, does anyone have any experience changing currency other than USD? I currently live in Seoul, so it would be easiest for me to exchange Korean Won. Hoping that since there is a decent Korean population in Uzbekistan (and vice versa) this would be easy to do. Thoughts?
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

You'll certainly not be able to exchange Korean Won anywhere in Uzbekistan. USD is most widely accepted, GBP and EUR works as well (the rate is a bit better with USD), sometimes, exchange offices will accept RUB and JPY. Kazakh tenge and Kyrgyz som will be accepted near the respective borders. Exchanging other currencies in Uzbekistan? Good luck!
1 x