Train stations in Tashkent

All about Uzbekistan.
unborderedlife

Train stations in Tashkent

Post by unborderedlife »

Hi all, couldn't find a topic on this so asking here.

I booked a Tashkent-Samarkand train via tutu.ru, and the station is shown as Tashkent Yuzhnyy. Googling around, I discovered that this is the South Railway Station, which is different from the central (North?) Railway Station.

However some articles have said it closed down and all trains now go to the Central station? Is there any truth to this?

I looked on Google Maps and the South Station seems really out of the way, with no hotels around. As I return late at night, any suggestions on where to stay or how to get to a hotel safely? (Am a solo female so want to avoid getting into dodgy taxis if possible). Thanks in advance.
0 x

Jealgu

Re: Train stations in Tashkent

Post by Jealgu »

http://www.uza.uz/en/society/tashkent-s ... DE=society

Are those sources about closure before or after this date?

Yes, yuzzhny station is out of the way. Not sure if there are absolutely no hotels there. As taxis in Tashkent are mostly informal, so I guess dodgy. I think I remember I heard of taxis that can be called or ordered through internet. Perhaps you can contact your accomodatio to arrange things.

Not sure from where you are arriving, but if you can manage to take an afrosiyob or international train from the direction Nukus/Urgench you will arrive in central which will be more convenient (as a subway station is very nearby).
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Yuzhny/Janubiy Vokzal is not in the city-center, but also not outside of Tashkent. There is quite a number of bus lines running either to the city or to the nearest metro station (which is Chilonzor). They run until late, though not in the middle of the night, but using them without speaking a few words of Russian and/or being able to read the Cyrillic script will be challenging. Otherwise, use Yandex Taxi.
1 x

unborderedlife

Post by unborderedlife »

Jealgu wrote:http://www.uza.uz/en/society/tashkent-s ... DE=society

Are those sources about closure before or after this date?
Okay that explains things. I'm guessing that article was out of date and that South Station definitely up and running now.
Jealgu wrote: Yes, yuzzhny station is out of the way. Not sure if there are absolutely no hotels there. As taxis in Tashkent are mostly informal, so I guess dodgy. I think I remember I heard of taxis that can be called or ordered through internet. Perhaps you can contact your accomodatio to arrange things.

Not sure from where you are arriving, but if you can manage to take an afrosiyob or international train from the direction Nukus/Urgench you will arrive in central which will be more convenient (as a subway station is very nearby).
I'm returning from Samarkand and the afrosiyob trains were sold out on the date I wanted, unfortunately. Only trains available were early morning ones (like 4am) or night ones arriving around 10pm like the one I booked. I think the best approach would be to organise a pick-up with a hotel. Thanks for your information.
0 x

unborderedlife

Post by unborderedlife »

Milad wrote:Yuzhny/Janubiy Vokzal is not in the city-center, but also not outside of Tashkent. There is quite a number of bus lines running either to the city or to the nearest metro station (which is Chilonzor). They run until late, though not in the middle of the night, but using them without speaking a few words of Russian and/or being able to read the Cyrillic script will be challenging. Otherwise, use Yandex Taxi.
Thanks for the tips. I'm not a Russian speaker so navigating public transport at night is not an option for me. Is Yandex Taxi generally safe? I know it's like Uber but know nothing else about it.
0 x

swingaling

Post by swingaling »

If the train schedule doesn’t work, it’s possible to hire a driver to take you to Samarkand. It’s slower than the Afrosiyob, but faster than the regional trains. Roughly 3.5hr each way. Of course it’s more expensive than the train, but not expensive by western standards.

Yes, Yandex Taxi is safe are reliable in my experience. Be sure to have the destination written in Cyrillic just in case.
1 x

unborderedlife

Post by unborderedlife »

Thanks, might give Yandex a try as a back up. I ended up booking a hostel near Chilonzor Station and arranging pick-up with them for a fee.
0 x