Camping gas/fuel in Dushanbe Q&A

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Please post all your reports and questions on where to get camping stove gas canisters with butane or propane, liquid fuels, alcohol, in Dushanbe.

We gather all info at camping in Tajikistan, so look there first before you read this thread or decide to ask a question. See the accommodation pages of Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan for info on those countries.

If you have questions or reports about where to buy a tent, mat or sleeping bag in Dushanbe or Tajikistan, first see the article linked above, then read this forum thread.

There are separate forum threads on finding camping gas in
* Panjakent: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12324
* Khorog: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12327
* Samarkand viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9824
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Hi all!

We are looking for fuel for our trangia burner in Dushanbe. It can work either with Bio Ethanol (now available in Tadjikistan? http://news.tj/en/news/tajikistan/20071 ... n-dushanbe), Methylated Spirits (only found 70% in Uzbek pharmacies), isopropyl Alcohol or any other pure alcohol (preferably withe the highest % of alcohol).

I have read on the website that "pure alcohol and cartridges for camping stoves are available in Dushanbe" (http://caravanistan.com/tajikistan/pamir-highway/) but could not get the names of places where we can purchase it.

Does anybody know where to by fuels for trangia in Dushanbe?
Thanks for your help!
0 x

Tsikoudia

Re: Trangia burner fuels in Dushanbe?

Post by Tsikoudia »

I can't speak for Dushanbe but managed to get 100ml of 95% "Spirit" (basically, Ethyl-alcohol) in a pharmacy in far flung Murgab, easily enough. 6 Som, to use in my Caldera Cone so Pharmacies are probably your best bet. It's 95% but burns less hot than others I've used with that percentage so there may be something else in it.

It's sold as an antiseptic, essentially. Photo below. Best to decant into a better bottle after purchase though as it leaks slightly from the lid unless kept upright (the pharmacist herself notified me about this issue).
Attachments
DSCN9381_1502376274178.jpg
DSCN9381_1502376274178.jpg (198.78 KiB) Viewed 15980 times
1 x

Madda

Camping gas or fuel in Tajikistan

Post by Madda »

We found many sport shops selling cap gaz in Rudaki Avenue close to the crossing with Somoni Avenue. We’ve also found a good hunting shop selling good quality equipment for camping and trekking (western brands=western prices, unlikely only for men) at the underground floor in the Munisa shopping mall just 100mt away from Segafredo cafe on the perpendicular with Rudaki
https://www.google.com/maps?q=Munisa+Ma ... t-IT&gl=it
Cheers
1 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Camping gas or fuel in Uzbekistan or Tajikistan

Post by Julia »

Madda wrote:We found many sport shops selling cap gaz in Rudaki Avenue close to the crossing with Somoni Avenue. We’ve also found a good hunting shop selling good quality equipment for camping and trekking (western brands=western prices, unlikely only for men) at the underground floor in the Munisa shopping mall just 100mt away from Segafredo cafe on the perpendicular with Rudaki
https://www.google.com/maps?q=Munisa+Ma ... t-IT&gl=it
Cheers
Could you please share prices for gas canisters in those shops?
I bought gas in a different place in Dushanbe and it was twice more expensive than in Almaty (((

They told me that gas is generally expensive in Tajikistan and I didn't know about the shops you mentioned.
Just want to check the prices if it was like in those shops or not.
Thanks!
0 x

Greg

Butane/Propane gas canisters in Dushanbe

Post by Greg »

I stayed at City Hostel Dushanbe three weeks ago (mid March 2019) and they sold resealable gas canisters - both the MSR-type screw fit and the Campingaz-type clamp fit. I was the first cyclist through the this year and I think the guy said I was buying the last screw fit canister they had from last year's stock, but I presume he'll be getting new stock in for the new season any time now.
2 x

pbertera

Post by pbertera »

Hi Julia,

could you please share where you got the gas canister in Dushanbe ?
I'm planning a trip from Dushanbe to Osh by bike for this August and I'm still not sure if I should take a gas or petrol cooker.

Would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Hi

I bought it in Green House Hostel.
Someone told me that they sell gas there and indeed they had new gas canisters.
I didn't have time to check other shops.
Check sport shops on Rudaki Avenue too. Maybe prices are better there.

Btw, I use Jetboil cooking system.
2 x

pbertera

Post by pbertera »

Thanks a lot for the information!
0 x

hh2sg

Post by hh2sg »

We bought gas canisters in Dushanbe at the Green House Hostel for 45 somoni per 220g canister. We found large 450g canisters in the big sports shop on Rudaki Avenue close to Somoni Avenue, but they finally quoted us 230 somoni (reduced from original quote 300 somoni) which was still completely over the top, so we left.
0 x