Bike Friendly Airlines

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
04Morley

Bike Friendly Airlines

Post by 04Morley »

Hi all, I'm currently in Bishkek, looking to fly out with my bike, preferably to SE Asia. Does anyone know any airlines who charge reasonably for bikes? I want to book a flight with Fly Dubai but I've been to their office three times now and they can't seem to tell me with my bike weight counts towards my overall baggage allowance or whether it's separate! Thanks.
0 x

matt2matt2002

Re: Bike Friendly Airlines

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Turkish airlines. Reasonable charges and twice I paid zero.
UK to Istanbul and Bishkek & return. Plus I've used them to Ethiopia from UK. Nice folks.
1 x
SIGNATURE
2014 Scottish End2End 1 month
2015 Pamir Highway Tajikistan & Kyrgyzstan for 2 months
2016 Sri Lanka for 1 month.
2017 Herbrides Lewis Harris 2 weeks
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
On a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

Sinkolot

Post by Sinkolot »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:44 pm
Turkish airlines. Reasonable charges and twice I paid zero.
UK to Istanbul and Bishkek & return. Plus I've used them to Ethiopia from UK. Nice folks.
Wow how'd you manage to do it at no charge twice? Now that would be a travel hack!
0 x

trikolka

Post by trikolka »

I also travelled several times on Turkish Airlines and would recommend them as bike-friendly.

I always paid, generally from 50 to 90 € depending on the flight (90€ for transcontinental flights with connection in Istanbul). The rule was not always the same : fixed rate, or weight of the bike, it depends on the airport, but the cost was almost the same in the 2 cases. For the packaging, the requirements also depend on the airport, but they generally accept the bike even without a special box. The detail I appreciated most is that when I travelled with a recumbent trike (I can no longer ride a "normal" bike because I had an accident), they told me they would accept it for the same price as a normal bike, and they did it.
0 x
http://blog.zamir.fr : Siberia, Caucasus, Kazakhstan
http://blog.khushomaded.fr : cycling Silk Road from Iran to Kyrgyzstan