Kyrgyzstan hiking in early-mid June

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
Kkzf

Kyrgyzstan hiking in early-mid June

Post by Kkzf »

Hi all,

I will be arriving in Kyrgyzstan in early June this year after completing the Pamir Highway. I am a keen hiker and I have heard of Kyrgyzstan's beautiful hikes in Ala Kul, the Alay mountains, and Song Kul etc. However, I am unsure if it is possible to do hiking in these areas during this period? I understand that there may be snow on the higher passes, would the trails be completely impassable or could it still be traversed with some caution? How about the yurt camps, will they be open this early in the season?
Would like to consult if there are certain hikes which are off limits during this period and what alternative hikes are available during early summer.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I could not find any conclusive answer online thus I wanted to consult with y'all. Thank you so much! :)
0 x

willemspie

Re: Kyrgyzstan hiking in early-mid June

Post by willemspie »

Some hikes will certainly be possible. Now, crossing the pass above Ala Kul, that's a question mark.
0 x

Kkzf

Post by Kkzf »

May I know which hikes would be possible as an alternative to Ala Kul?
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Sorry, but it is really impossible now to predict where the snow line will be in June 2024. Possibly you can visit Ala Kul lake then returning down instead of crossing the pass. But hiking should be possible on the bottom of the valleys there, like you can go towards the foot of Karakol Peak, Altyn Arashan and further up valley, and more.
0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Post by TheNonFlyingDutchman »

I was there last year beginning of june, but the weather could be different this year.
Ala kul was reachable, but the pass was very snowy and not really accessible. Some people did cross the pass with either very proper gear or some local guide who would only throw a rope out for you to hold onto while crossing, and then hike back. The tricky part as I heard is that when you com from the Ala Kul side, the first part over the pass is quite steep with deep snow, and you have no way to navigate. Back then they said that it often opens up around the end of june or beginning of july.
Though you could also just hike to the lake and the pass and turn around, and access the other parts through the other valleys. The hike back and forth didn’t disappoint to do twice. The last part is super steep and many loose rocks, so properly adventurous. Wouldn’t let my mum hike it.

Do consider bringing a tent. The yurt camp at the end of the valley (before hiking up) was not the old one that has been there for years. It was now run by a new guy who called himself Ernst. Very much a business boy who liked to charge as much as he could get for minimal effort in accommodation and food. If I’d do it again, I’d try to be as independent as possible. There’s a great rental literally around the corner of Duet Hostel. Extreme Shop Gold if I may believe google maps.
3 x

Kkzf

Post by Kkzf »

Thank you so much all for your helpful replies! May I know how does accommodation work at Ala Kul? Do they have to be booked in advance or can I just show up at the Sirota camp/yurt camps and ask for accommodation?
Are tents necessary? I would prefer not carrying tents but if the accommodation situation is difficult for this hike, I would look into it
0 x

Kkzf

Post by Kkzf »

willemspie wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:34 pm
Sorry, but it is really impossible now to predict where the snow line will be in June 2024. Possibly you can visit Ala Kul lake then returning down instead of crossing the pass. But hiking should be possible on the bottom of the valleys there, like you can go towards the foot of Karakol Peak, Altyn Arashan and further up valley, and more.
Thank you! Can I know where can I find more information about these alternative routes?
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

This mountain range consists of parallel valleys, with passes in between. So, if the passes are tricky, you can always hike up any of those valleys which generally terminate by a glacier.
If you just hike upvalley from Karakol, for instance, you will arrive at the foot if Karakol Peak, and it is a great place.
You can download old Soviet topographical maps of the area on different websites, some of them free of charge, I used maps.vlasenko.net. I used those maps for all my treks in Central Asia.
2 x

Kkzf

Post by Kkzf »

willemspie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:13 pm
This mountain range consists of parallel valleys, with passes in between. So, if the passes are tricky, you can always hike up any of those valleys which generally terminate by a glacier.
If you just hike upvalley from Karakol, for instance, you will arrive at the foot if Karakol Peak, and it is a great place.
You can download old Soviet topographical maps of the area on different websites, some of them free of charge, I used maps.vlasenko.net. I used those maps for all my treks in Central Asia.
thank you so much willemspie, you have been of great help! :)
0 x

M39

Post by M39 »

Hi!

I will arrive tomorrow in Beshkik till the 29th of june. Any Updates about trails would be great!
0 x