Best Skiing Destination? Iran (Dizin) or Georgia (Gudauri)?

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
seysearles

Best Skiing Destination? Iran (Dizin) or Georgia (Gudauri)?

Post by seysearles »

Hey folks, my girlfriend, myself and another couple are planning a 5 day ski trip in March from Dubai to somewhere in the nearish region.

The 2 options we are really considering are Dizin in Iran and Gudauri in Georgia. Myself and the other guy are experienced life-long skiers and are looking for good terrain and hopefully some powder. Whereas the girlfriends/wives are probably more interested in a bit of casual skiing and then some fireside apres ski drinks and a massage or two.

I know this region isn't Europe and we can't get it all but id love some feedback from people who have skied in this area on which of those resorts (or others) best fits that description. We were in Almaty in July and I must say Shymbulak kind of ticks all the boxes but we are looking toward new frontiers.

Please share your experiences.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Best Skiing Destination? Iran (Dizin) or Georgia (Gudauri)?

Post by steven »

Not sure about Dizin.

We do have what I think is the best guide on Gudauri in English, not sure if you have seen it yet: https://caravanistan.com/things-to-do/s ... a/gudauri/
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

Where are all the skiers at?!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

There aren't many foreign skiers in the region (except for Gudauri).
1 x

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

steven wrote:There aren't many foreign skiers in the region (except for Gudauri).
Im genuinely surprised that more people don't go to Shymbulak in Almaty to ski. Kazakstan is visa free for most foreigners. Its 3hrs flight from Dubai and Abu Dhabi which is full of skiing starved foreigners and 3-5hrs away from the entire Indian sub-continent with a population of 1.5billion people all sharing one "ski resort" (I use that term very broadly) in war-torn Kashmir. Whats more, it has all the mod-cons and luxuries of a Western ski resort at half the price and Almaty is a cool cosmopolitan town full of shops and cafes and parks only 15 mins away from the resort for disinterested partners/kids etc. I was there in summer but I will definitely head back there in winter once i have exhausted my curiosity of the other "exotic" ski destinations like Iran Georgia Lebanon etc.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Looking at the forums here and it seems Kazakhstan most certainly is not visa-free for the 1.5 billion sub-continentals. And I imagine most ex-pats in the Emirates would probably rather go back to Europe than head to a less-familiar place like Kazakhstan on their vacation.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Kazakhstan is getting more popular with people from the Emirates, both locals (it's green and fresh in the mountains, and Muslim as well, but with miniskirts and vodka) and expats (same reasons more or less).

Indians still have to jump through a lot of hoops to get to Kazakhstan, same for Chinese. Armenia is now conducting an experiment with easy visas for Indians, I am interested to see how that will work out.
1 x

Miah

Post by Miah »

hello! everyone i would say that Iran(Dizin) is a good place for sik but Georgia (Gudauri) is also a best place. These places are too much amazing and enjoyable. But i would say Dizin listed of the best ski resort in the Iran and Dizin is the largest Iranian Sky resort.We can different tricks with our sticks in skii, that is amazing to do. So i'll personally prefer the Iran Dizin sik, because Dizin have besides of sikiing also have a good and specious restaurant for eat some amazing foods. I hope you'll enjoy these things like me.
1 x

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

Miah wrote:hello! everyone i would say that Iran(Dizin) is a good place for sik but Georgia (Gudauri) is also a best place. These places are too much amazing and enjoyable. But i would say Dizin listed of the best ski resort in the Iran and Dizin is the largest Iranian Sky resort.We can different tricks with our sticks in skii, that is amazing to do. So i'll personally prefer the Iran Dizin sik, because Dizin have besides of sikiing also have a good and specious restaurant for eat some amazing foods. I hope you'll enjoy these things like me.
Skiing in Iran is definitely on my list of things to do! If you have any more tips on what we should consider before visiting then please share. I enjoyed Gudauri as a nice family resort but in terms of skiing I preferred Mestia (Longer runs and tree lines).
1 x

Miah

Post by Miah »

Mestia is also an amazing place, besides this Mestia I would say the Shemshak is the best for skii that is nearby by the tehran and easy way to reach. It is a very nice slope and you can find different ways for skiing. It offers the most exciting and also most challenging skiing experience. It's price is also good and affordable. It also includes chairlifts and surface lift.
1 x