Trekking in Alay, Kyrgyzstan: Questions and trek reports

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Trekking in Alay, Kyrgyzstan: Questions and trek reports

Post by steven »

Your questions and trek reports of treks in the Alay region of southern Kyrgyzstan are most welcome below. We gather up all information at Trekking in Alay.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

AreWeThereYet?

Re: Trekking in Alay, Kyrgyzstan: Questions and trek reports

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

Great, I've been looking for something of this kind for a while now! One query, though: do you guys have GPS locations of the paths you followed, or some sort of waypoints?
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

No, sorry, I didn't make any, I am not such a good hiker. If somebody does, I would be very happy to start a collection of gpx trails for Central Asia. Wikiloc is usually the best place to start looking, maybe other sites have something?
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

Thanks Steven, good info nonetheless! Do you have names of the guides? And, even though I know it's off-topic, do you happen to have any tips for treks around Murghab, Tajikistan?

thanks!
1 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

On both counts, sorry, no. My guides were called Kuat and Timur, but they are back to school now, they are both students so I believe they are not available right now.
0 x

Kanter

Post by Kanter »

Hello,

I am just coming back from trekking Heights of Alay. Official map shows a 80 km round, starting 20 km away from Sary Moghol, clockwise, and finishing in the same village. If you are a purist, you can do 20 first km by feet, my opinion is 10 first km are not interesting, 10 km after a bit more. I hesitated a lot and I finally took a shared car with 4 other people (2000 sum total).

I had a tent, camping gear, food in bag (10 to 13 kg I would say). Otherwise there are still opened yurts, will close till mid September I think, ask to CBT. Weather OK.

Day 1: SM pass, altitude of 4300, not given, carefull after pass steep descent, my trail runing shoes were a bit used, slippery ! Time: 6h to reach yurts after pass.

Day 2 : Very smooth descent to Sary Moghol (same name than first one but much smaller), after, a road flat to Kyzil Chara, there is a small shop, ask. I was supposed to camp at Yurt camp after Kosh Moinok pass but it was 2 PM and weather was good. Decided to go ahead, camped just before Kojokelen, nice place with Utah like red cliffs. Time: 10 hours

Day 3 : Long road from Kojokelen to Jiptyk pass, 22 km, then, descent to Yurt Camp, 10 more km. Asked myself if I continued but spending night into moutain was nicer. Time: 12 hours

Day 4 : 10 flat km to SM, 2 hours

My advice: doing it clockwise maybe better, from Jiptyk pass you will see Lenin Peak, so nice. I did not expected it! And last 10 km, same, see Lenin peak! Counterclockwise you will have it in your back :)

This trek is really (really) beautiful, even if roads part are a bit boring...
3 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Hi Kanter

Thanks for the hike report. Do you have a gpx trek of that hike?
0 x

Kanter

Post by Kanter »

I registred my own track with Strava and I followed a gpx track as mentioned on Caravanistan guidelines (link pointing on Wikiloc)
1 x

victoriareali

Post by victoriareali »

hi, does anyone went to travelers pass in these days? i read some yurts are closed but i want to know if i can get there and go back to somwhere in the samee day
i dont have a tent and gear
0 x