China visa free now (sort of, for some)

All about China. Expert: bwv812
adi

Post by adi »

Hot off the press today: As of December 1st 2023 Germans, French, Italians, Spanish, Dutch and Malaysian passport holders need no longer a visa for tourism or business if they are staying no more than 15 calendar days. This is limited to 30th Nov 2024.

I'll just have to hop on the slow boat to China steered by the Great Helmsman :)
Last edited by adi on Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

MichelG

Re: China visa free now (sort of, for some)

Post by MichelG »

I'm Dutch, so good news for my plans
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

German here, married to a Malaysian, an ideal combination, apparently... ;-)
I haven't read anything about whether this is restricted to any type of border crossing - or whether I can now do Laos - Kazakhstan by just showing up at the border. Did I miss anything?
0 x

liberspirita

Post by liberspirita »

is it so easy ?
do you think it is now possible to cross china from Pakistan to Tadjikistan or Kirghizistan?
0 x

adi

Post by adi »

liberspirita wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:55 pm
is it so easy ?
do you think it is now possible to cross china from Pakistan to Tadjikistan or Kirghizistan?
Wondered about that myself and sent an eMail to the Chinese Visa Application Center here. Alas this being the weekend no reply to be expected yet. Will keep you posted.
1 x

Lagerfeld

Post by Lagerfeld »

Today I was walking around in Almaty and when I passed the CHINESE VISA CENTER in the Gogol Street I asked inside if this is all truth?
Yes, they told me, for me and many other nationalities is without visa now.

That is the best message for me from the year '23 !!!
0 x

Fra&Sim

Post by Fra&Sim »

Hello,the 15 days free visa for some nationalities is also obscure about the possibilities of re-enter in China for 15 days again after some time(days,weeks,months) and we still don't know if entering overland they ask for airplane ticket for exit the country or booking hotels.
Still a lot of mistery.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

I wrote to the Chinese embassy in Berlin a few days ago, asking specifically about entering visa-free from Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan - no reply yet. I suspect their enthusiasm for encouraging these kind of overland trips into Xinjiang is somewhat limited. ;-) Will report when/if I hear from them...
0 x

LeTapir

Post by LeTapir »

Hello All
First thanks to Caravanistan and the community for great help this site provides to backpackers and travelers of the silk road.

I can confirm the Khorgas crossing (Almaty-Yining/Urumqi) is fine to cross visa-free for those eligible (French in my case).
Went with the bus to Yining, no visa, got helped to fill in the immigration form, fingerprints taken, questions about previous travels (silk road countries basically), about the itinerary, about my job. The lady asked her boss to validate the entrance but everybody seemed well-aware of that new (temporary) policy.
It did not take much more time to cross than for a random kazakh. No phone search, no intrusive behaviour, well behaved staff.
Safe travels
3 x

solimoes

Post by solimoes »

Hi LeTapir, I read on different sites that entry into China with visa exemption is not allowed if the passport has a Turkey stamp. Was this your case? Do you know more?
LeTapir wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:15 pm
Hello All
First thanks to Caravanistan and the community for great help this site provides to backpackers and travelers of the silk road.

I can confirm the Khorgas crossing (Almaty-Yining/Urumqi) is fine to cross visa-free for those eligible (French in my case).
Went with the bus to Yining, no visa, got helped to fill in the immigration form, fingerprints taken, questions about previous travels (silk road countries basically), about the itinerary, about my job. The lady asked her boss to validate the entrance but everybody seemed well-aware of that new (temporary) policy.
It did not take much more time to cross than for a random kazakh. No phone search, no intrusive behaviour, well behaved staff.
Safe travels
0 x