Economy Hostels/Hotels in Kashgar and Urumqi accepting foreigners? can you recommend?

All about China. Expert: bwv812
joe67

Economy Hostels/Hotels in Kashgar and Urumqi accepting foreigners? can you recommend?

Post by joe67 »

Hello, from your recent experiences, can you please inform about hostels and/or economy hotels in Kashgar and Urumqi that accept foreigners? I heard that many of the lower-budget hotels do not accept foreigners, can you confirm this? I plan to travel from Almaty to Urumqi and Kashgar, and from there to Osh in Krigistan. Thanks!
0 x

Tasurinchi

Re: Economy Hostels/Hotels in Kashgar and Urumqi accepting foreigners? can you recommend?

Post by Tasurinchi »

Welcome to the forum!

I have no first hand experience, but I'm planning to do the same as you in June. Seems the best search webpage for China is Trip.com

There are a lot of hotels from all price clases listed there.
0 x
Going 4 weeks for a "mini" Silk Road trip in June

joe67

Re: Economy Hostels/Hotels in Kashgar and Urumqi accepting foreigners? can you recommend?

Post by joe67 »

Thanks. I am aware of Trip.com and what they offer. But I am afraid that most economy hotels that are offered there in fact do not take foreigners even though Trip.com formally indicates they do. No Email address of the hotels is given, otherwise one could ask for confirmation. Hotel ratings are alsmost alway written by Chinese only, not by foreigners. I also plan to travel there this June.
0 x

alguesala

Post by alguesala »

Hi Joe,

I recently contacted via Wechat Kashgar Pamir Youth Hostel (in Chinese, 帕米尔青旅) and they confirmed foreigners can stay. I believe they don't speak English though. I quickly googled them and it seems they can be booked online, anyway. However, if you have issues, send me a private message and I will help you.
2 x

Riddlewood

Post by Riddlewood »

In my experience Trip.com will check whether accommodation you booked in Kashgar takes foreigners, and call you to rearrange the booking to a place that does. They contacted me to suggest a new hotel, I requested an alternative and they made the arrangements immediately. Tiancheng International Youth Hostel (Kashgar Ancient City Branch) takes westerners.
1 x

sunny0421

Post by sunny0421 »

This might be late, but it might help others so I gonna answer anyway.
I suggest using Ctrip.com to search hotels that can host foreigners in China. Ctrip.com is the original version of Trip.com. It's what many Chinese people use for trip booking. It used to have an English version, but I can't find the language switch option now. Maybe because Trip.com is growing? You may need a translation extension.
On Ctrip.com there's a filtrage option (last one of the last line on the hotel results page) that let you choose the hotels that can host foreigners.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Just to add to this: When you search on trip.com for a place in China (e.g. in Kashgar), below the selection of available rooms for each hotel you'll find "Guests Accepted", and it should say "Guests from every country/region are accepted". In my experience, this is the case for all hotels that are retrieved on trip.com when you use the English version - but I didn't check this in detail. In any case, the available options are *massively* more varied than a few years ago, and they include many budget places.
In my experience, it may also be worth waiting with booking a room up until one or two days before arrival (at least in low season): for the hotels I was looking at, the price was quite significantly reduced shortly before my intended day of arrival.
In Kashgar, I stayed at the Rezen Hotel and ended up paying only 93€ for 3 nights (in total, with breakfast). And I was upgraded to a (much more expensive) room with a view of the "ancient" city. My hunch is that this may be the room that is bugged for listening in on what foreigners have to say in the privacy of their hotel room - but I didn't find any evidence to support this. ;-)
2 x