Foreign registered car, driving in China?

All about China. Expert: bwv812
Spretti

Foreign registered car, driving in China?

Post by Spretti »

Done some minor research about getting a temporary license plate for China for foreign-registered car/RV if anyone is interested.
It will not be easy, but I think it could be done with many documents and patience.
Car to China
0 x
Traveling in China by RV/caravan with family in my free time is my passion. Many places were visited and still many places to go. East/west and from north to south. Always using rental RVs from different agencies and checking out the various campsites with reviews from actual experience CrissCrossChina

Hugues

Re: Foreign registered car, driving in China?

Post by Hugues »

Interesting, keep us posted.
Would you then still need a guide to go with you at all times?
0 x

Spretti

Post by Spretti »

Hi, according to the officer in the Vehicle Management Station of Traffic Police Headquarters of Shanghai Public Security Bureau a guide is not needed. Please notice this was in Shanghai.
Personally cannot say if it would be but when applying for a visa for DIY travel maybe it is mandatory. This is a little bit tricky, what the law says and how it is implemented might differ in China
0 x
Traveling in China by RV/caravan with family in my free time is my passion. Many places were visited and still many places to go. East/west and from north to south. Always using rental RVs from different agencies and checking out the various campsites with reviews from actual experience CrissCrossChina

femma

Post by femma »

I am interested. Do you have any updates on this topic to share?
0 x

Spretti

Post by Spretti »

I don't have any updates regarding this. This is something that someone needs to do so can get more relevant information. I collect information from what I hear and see. If someone really wants to do this we can support but with limited time as I just do this on my free-time
0 x

Gaz2Japan

Post by Gaz2Japan »

Hey hey,

I'm really interested about this subject, we are 2 motorbikes + 2 friends and planed to reach Japan via China.
The point is, how to drive in China ?
I know we need to pass the driver licence and to get the plates. We think that we want to do it by ourselves.
Have you got anymore informations to do it ?

Best regards,
0 x

Spretti

Post by Spretti »

Hi, i dont really have specific information about this. On THIS page you can find translated document from Vehicle Management Station of Traffic Police Headquarters of Shanghai Public Security Bureau how to temporary import vehicle to China.
Also to mention something new from today, visited the same place for a question of temp DL. Some people claim that it can only be used in the province you got it and now confirmed that temp license is valid in mainland China. So no problem regarding driving license crossing China.

To obtain temp DL is quite simple. I have not done it as I have the permanent license but it takes half day and what I understood you need to watch some traffic rule video. You can find information what is needed in Giigla
0 x