Urumqi Airport - Staying over night

All about China. Expert: bwv812
Tasurinchi

Urumqi Airport - Staying over night

Post by Tasurinchi »

First post here, after lurking for a bit ;)

I'll be flying from Almaty to Kashgar via Urumqi with China Southern in June, I have a late and long-ish stay in the Airport.

Arrival in Urumqi at 1:30 AM (I guess Peking time)
Departure to Kashgar at 8:30 AM

So my questions would be:
  • Will I be allowed to stay in the Airport during that time? (Read few old threads that tourists were put in a hotel, which makes less sense for me due to the short stay)
  • If yes, how comfy it is? (Will have to sleep at the Terminal)
  • Any other possible flight connection? The websites I was checking give me only the China Southern one
Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. @Mods feel free to move this thread if it's posted in the wrong place
0 x

Tasurinchi

Re: Urumqi Airport - Staying over night

Post by Tasurinchi »

Bumping my question. Of course I will report my experience about this in about a month from now
0 x

sunny0421

Post by sunny0421 »

Not my experience. Info collected online.

This is news in Chinese.
http://www.altxw.com/yw/202404/t20240401_20126182.html
It's said that it's possible to stay overnight at the airport now. The airport has set up a staying overnight zone for passengers in T2 since March 2024. The guidance signs are in rose. This area is equipped with drinking water machine, toilets and power banks.

Besides China Southern, there are other airlines who run this route. To name some of them: Shandong Airlines, Lucky Air, Tianjin Airlines, China Eastern.
0 x

Tasurinchi

Post by Tasurinchi »

sunny0421 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 2:30 am
It's said that it's possible to stay overnight at the airport now. The airport has set up a staying overnight zone for passengers in T2 since March 2024. The guidance signs are in rose. This area is equipped with drinking water machine, toilets and power banks.
This is really good news! Thanks for sharing.. :)

I'll be flying there next Monday late, will keep this thread updated
0 x

Tasurinchi

Post by Tasurinchi »

Wrapping up my own thread :-)

The flight was not that full so from disembarking till picking up my luggage it took roughly one hour.

When getting into the arrival zone you have two options:
  • Sleep in "Capsules", the are big modern container-like spaces, they look large enough for a person. Signs were all in Chinese and since I don't speak or read it I can't say much about the prices. They seem to vary depending on the time range you book them (like from 14:00 to 22:00 was the cheapest)
  • Pay 60 CNY to rest on a kind of lounge, with a large and comfy amrchair
I took the 2nd option, since I had 3 to 4 hours to spend before my next check in window.

For me I could not sleep much, since the place is still noisy with all the airport announcements, people talking, the bright light from the terminal and neighbors snoring. Yet still much better than sitting on the stiff and uncomfortable airport chairs, which by the way were all taken when I arrived.

For those wanting to check the capsules, when going out to the arrival zone, you''ll see a group of capsules just ahead, there are more towards the right, where there is also the counter to book them.

I hope this helps!
1 x

minion

Post by minion »

nice update.

any tedious security check upon arrival to china ?
0 x

Tasurinchi

Post by Tasurinchi »

No, not really. Everything was smooth and the staff was always friendly.

A funny thing was how often they check your passport :-)

When I arrived, I first needed to scan my passport in a "Health check" station, before that a staff had a quick look at my passport first and then directed me to one of the queues.

After scanning my passport, another staff took a look at it again and showed me to the desk where you need to fill the immigration form. You go then to the immigration where you get your pictures and finger scans, I got asked the usual questions: how long I plan to stay, if I was in China before, if I have a ticket back home and so on.

I got then my stamp, and right after that another staff took a look at my passport again, I proceeded then to security, where you put your hand luggage in an X-Ray/Scanner, before that guess what... I got my passport checked again by the security staff :D

After that I picked up my checked luggage and proceeded to exit.
0 x

minion

Post by minion »

i call that bureaucracy and job creation.

common in countries with 1.4B people (only two such countries in the world)
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Welcome to Xinjiang! It's not as bad in other parts of the country, but in Xinjiang, you'll have to register with the police even to *leave* a train station, for example...
The only other place I experienced similar levels of paranoia was when going through security to get onto Tiananmen Square. I think it was 4 passport checks and 3 X-ray machines - or vice versa? At least that's how it felt...
1 x