All about China. Expert: bwv812
Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 pm
x 2


Post by h.vanderkolff »

Hi guys,

I'm planning to travel from Nepal to Kyrgyzstan (understood from the site that that's the best way to get into the 'stans' from China) overland starting from half April 2016.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to get my Chinese visa sorted.
What I understand is that in China you need to provide a complete (booked) itinerary in order to get your visa. I'm in touch with a tour agency in Tibet, but they seem only to be able to take care of the Tibet part, so therefore I'm not sure if they could organize the visa for the complete trip.

Anyone here that has done a similar trip?
Any suggestions, tips&tricks?
Thanks in advance!

0 x

China expert
China expert
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm
x 3538
x 176

Re: Nepal-China-Kyrgystan

Post by bwv812 »

Well, you need a Chinese visa, and then you need a Tibet travel permit.

Since the Chinese visa doesn't specify a port of entry, just apply for a Chinese visa. It will be easiest to get one if you pretend you're not going anywhere sensitive (Tibet, Xinjiang, etc.); when they ask for an itinerary, just say you're visiting Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, etc.

Then, once you have your Chinese visa, arrange for a Tibet permit with a local Chinese (preferably ethnic Tibetan) tour agency in Lhasa. They should be able to arrange to meet you at the border.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul:

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post