SIM cards (in Xinjiang)

All about China. Expert: bwv812
wnstnbchr

SIM cards (in Xinjiang)

Post by wnstnbchr »

Does anybody have information on how we can get a SIM card in China, especially in Xinjiang? I heard that getting a SIM card there is almost impossible. Does eSIM work? Apparently we need it because one cannot pay with Wechat / Alipay when offline?
Really thankful for some advice here.
0 x

HugoL

Re: SIM cards (in Xinjiang)

Post by HugoL »

A Hong Kong tourist I met in Kashgar had problems connecting to the internet in Xinjiang using roaming, which he said worked fine in other parts of China. He went to China Mobile shop and apparently you need a permit from the police to get a sim.

I purchased my sim with a foreigner passport in the eastern provinces in 20 minutes with minimal hassle, eSim also worked fine. I suggest get everything ready in major cities in the east before heading to Xinjiang because different rules apply on everything.
1 x

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I bought a sim card in Tashkurgan (south west Xinjiang) from China Unicom. Payed 130rmb, pretty easy process. They tooked my passport but they had to translate it in chinese, it took them 2hrs (60 rmb included in the 130 I payed). The sim worked well during my whole stay in Xinjiang. I think you can get one in Kashgar too, just go to the biggest China Unicom store you can find so they can process your passport
2 x

lucie_alba

Post by lucie_alba »

Hi all,
Sorry to report that I have been unable to buy a SIM card in Xinjiang (Yining). As stated previously you absolutely need to get your passport translated and all shops I visited gave me different places, quite far away, to get it done. They said I would then have to do an online registration. If you just ask the question they'll say it's absolutely impossible to buy one, if you say a Chinese friend has called beforehand then they'll be more helpful. If you have time it's probably possible to get one but personally I've chosen to be out of the region.
Good luck !
0 x

lucie_alba

Post by lucie_alba »

Hi all,
Sorry to report that I have been unable to buy a SIM card in Xinjiang (Yining). As stated previously you absolutely need to get your passport translated and all shops I visited gave me different places, quite far away, to get it done. They said I would then have to do an online registration. If you just ask the question they'll say it's absolutely impossible to buy one, if you say a Chinese friend has called beforehand then they'll be more helpful. If you have time it's probably possible to get one but personally I've chosen to be out of the region.
Good luck !
1 x

Woody

Post by Woody »

An eSIM by the Company Nomad (someone mentioned somewhere on this forum before) worked fine in Xinjiang. It uses Hong Kong Roaming. I activated it before entering China and so far it works very well.
1 x
Hamburg to Hanoi overland (August to December 2023)
https://ZugAbenteuer.de

emdethuong

Post by emdethuong »

I stayed in Renmin road, Tianshian district and near Nan Men metro station in Urumqi, Xinjiang. I walked to the plaza named Fountain Plaza and buy a China Mobile sim card there with 30gb of internet (valid for 30days, including 1300min calling), 129rmb + 60rmb passport translation fee. Very quick and easy, only passport needed and no permit of any sort required. There are many China Mobile and other network companies in Turpan as I could see today as well.

I also bought a physical Travelmate simcard 5g (data only) on trip.com and it was sent to my hotel in Urumqi, Xinjiang (do buy a few days ahead, like 5-7days, because it takes time to send to remote provinces like Xinjiang). I thought it would not work in Xinjiang but it works! So now I have 2 sim cards with internet data for my 2 mobile phones which is great.
Last edited by emdethuong on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x