Re: China to Almaty!

Postby steven » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks! Updated!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

SteveRohan

Yining to Almaty

Postby SteveRohan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:02 am

Update. The bus station at Niabzhigou in Urumqi has been torn down. The small office round the corner that used to house the ticket office for Almaty buses looks abandoned.

I took the overnight train to Yining and have bought a bus ticket to the border at Khorgas. It leaves Yining bus station at 9.30 (time is now 9am Beijing time) and cost 25rmb. I will attempt to cross on foot or taxi/passing vehicle and update as I can't find any info of anyone having done this.

Will add further info when I get to Almaty.
2 x

Travelgian

Re: Yining-Almaty bus Q&A

Postby Travelgian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi all, all being well I'll get to Khorgos (Huo'uergosi is the name used when booking on Chinese railways) in two days. Is there any update on the border crossing? I hope it is possible to get a bus ticket to Zharkent from there. Sadly I'll have to leave the silk road and head north asap. Does anyone know if there's a connection from Zharkent to Astana? By the way, I thought it would be somehow difficult to book train tickets in Xinjiang, instead I managed to do everything online and collect all tickets at the first station I went to.
0 x

Travelgian

Re: Yining-Almaty bus Q&A

Postby Travelgian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 pm

By the way, I don't understand why many people talk about travelling to Yining and getting bus to Khorgos. Overnight train seems to arrive to Khorgos. But maybe I'm missing something..
0 x