Shipping a motorbike overland Kyrgyzstan to Pakistan

All about China. Expert: bwv812
robfir

Shipping a motorbike overland Kyrgyzstan to Pakistan

Post by robfir »

Hi all,

I'm have two concerns about crossing Xinjiang self-drive on my foreign motorbike:
1) That it will be out of my bugdet, even when sharing the costs by joining a group.
2) That I won't know far enough in advance when I'll be ready to cross - the guideline seems to be that all dates & documents must be submitted ~3 months in advance, I doubt my ability to predict how long it'll take me to get from England to the Chinese border.

What do you think of my chances of finding vehicle(s) I could pay to carry me and my motorbike through Xinjiang? I think I'd probably have to load before the Irkeshtam border crossing, both for simplicity with the border guards and the practicalities of finding lots of stationary trucks. And it would be far simpler if the vehicle I found was going the entire way to Pakistan.

That’s an informal, almost hitchhiking, process, and wouldn’t produce any shipping/customs documents which might be required at Chinese border control points (?)
So I could consider shipping overland more formally, between two cities large enough to offer such a service.

Thanks for reading,
Robert :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Shipping a motorbike overland Kyrgyzstan to Pakistan

Post by steven »

There are no Pakistan-bound trucks from Kyrgyzstan. So you would have to change in Kashgar. I think it is very tricky. Just thinking like a Chinese border guard here for a moment. Some white guy comes up in a truck with his motorcycle in the back.

"Yea, but I am not driving it in China, when I get to Kashgar I will just load it into another truck bound for Pakistan."

Do you think they would go for that?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

robfir

Post by robfir »

That's one of my biggest doubts about this plan, yes! But then I thought; it's very normal to have equipment you can break the law with, and the trust that you won't (or won't dare to!) comes normal with it...
I'll certainly want to have a backup plan ready! What would my situation likely be if I got 'bounced' between the two border controls? i.e. signed out of Kyrgyzstan, denied entry to China, ~immediately asking to re-enter Kyrgyzstan. (UK passport)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

A bit funny of course to re-enter a country while you have not entered another one, but since you don't need a visa for Kyrgyzstan and seeing you are not allowed into China, they will let you back in with another 60 days, is my guess.

As for the rest of your plan: perhaps try HUBB forum?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

robfir wrote: I'll certainly want to have a backup plan ready! What would my situation likely be if I got 'bounced' between the two border controls? i.e. signed out of Kyrgyzstan, denied entry to China, ~immediately asking to re-enter Kyrgyzstan. (UK passport)
Speaking as someone who has been bounced between the borders (in my case it was Tajik guards at Kyzyl Art refusing to let me in unless I bribed them with $100), I can say the Kyrgyz guards will let you back in and stamp your passport without any restrictions.
0 x

cibaikia

Post by cibaikia »

steven wrote:There are no Pakistan-bound trucks from Kyrgyzstan. So you would have to change in Kashgar. I think it is very tricky. Just thinking like a Chinese border guard here for a moment. Some white guy comes up in a truck with his motorcycle in the back.

"Yea, but I am not driving it in China, when I get to Kashgar I will just load it into another truck bound for Pakistan."

Do you think they would go for that?
Are there any 2nd options? you know like bribe them
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Kyrgyz: yes. Chinese: no.
0 x

ktm620

Post by ktm620 »

G'day Robfir, I'm looking at doing the same thing as you are, except from Pakistan.
I am also looking at the option of finding a truck driver that will throw my bike in the back of his truck as part of his cargo.
I don't think the guards check each item of each truck that enters China.
The problem might be that you won't be able to ride in the truck. You will need to Meet the driver at a depot in Kashgar, then do it all over again to the border.
Any if you come up with any good info please post it, as i will.

Cheers

Good luck.
0 x

Jay

Post by Jay »

Has anyone successfully done this? Would be interest in exploring this option from Pakistan to Kyrgyzstan
0 x

murg

Post by murg »

The Transport of a motorbike in a truck from Tajikistan to Pakistan through China ist possible.

BUT:

It is only about 250 € cheaper than self-drivin because you still need an agency to organise this, have to pay the Truck Driver etc.

I have no further details because we decided to self drive.

You might want to contact tibetmoto.com (Hendrik) for details.
2 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany