Hostels in Urumqi

All about China. Expert: bwv812
elliotalmost

Hostels in Urumqi

Post by elliotalmost »

Hi guys,

I’m heading from Xining to Urumqi in mid-late May. I’ll have to stay at least a night in Urumqi to fly to Tashkent. Based on the forum posts from early 2019 it looks like only a few hotels are allowing foreigners to register. I checked Trip.com as I read they will pay the difference if a hotel doesn’t allow foreigners but it still leaves me blowing out my budget.

I’ll be heading back to Urumqi in July overland by looping through the Pamir Highway so will be spending two stints there as a flight spot. For anyone from Australia, Urumqi has incredibly cheap flights back to Sydney. E.g $250ish with a 2 hour layover.

If anyone has been recently and could update it’d be much appreciated!!

Thanks <3

Elliot
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Hostels in Urumqi

Post by steven »

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6005 has reports of accommodation that takes foreigners in Urumqi, including some hostels.

We collect and summarize at https://caravanistan.com/east-turkestan/#urumqi
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sctilr87

Post by sctilr87 »

Best advice is use the English version of the trip.com app. The hotels listed on the English version *should* accept foreigners. A tip is to look at the reviews and see which were written with English as the original language
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

A search for hotels in Urumqi in two weeks on trip.com returns almost 200 hits. Many are cheap. Things have changed since a few years ago - so I guess it doesn’t help reviving this old thread…
Just be prepared for a visit by plainclothes police checking out this weird foreigner soon after you check in. Happened to me in Kashgar. :lol: At least they spoke English.
1 x

sctilr87

Post by sctilr87 »

Great. Didn’t realize how old this post was actually 😂
0 x