Alcohol or Tobacco Branding, Signage, Stickers Decals on cars

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
Stillers

Alcohol or Tobacco Branding, Signage, Stickers Decals on cars

Post by Stillers »

Hi,
Me and a few friends are participating in the Mongol Rally this year and we are planning to decorate our cars with some classic motorsports racing stickers such as Martini, Rothmans, Marlboro and so on.

I was wondering whether displaying brands or imagery associated with alcohol or tobacco could get us in trouble with authorities in some of the countries we are visiting. If the branding itself is fine, we were wondering if posters showing bottles or similar (example shown below) would be an issue.

For reference our route takes us through Turkey,Georgia, Azerbaija, Iran, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kasakhstan, Russia and obviously Mongolia.

0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Alcohol or Tobacco Branding, Signage, Stickers Decals on cars

Post by Milad »

Depending on the mood of the border guard, Iran may refuse entry to this car, since alcohol is prohibited and they could consider it to be encouraging to violate the prohibition. I don't know if the law prohibits such signage explicitly, but considering the level of arbitrariness usually executed there, this doesn't matter too much.

Furthermore, passing through Afghanistan in such a car is an invitation for Taliban looking for foreigners. Please don't do it.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Advertising for alcohol is also forbidden in Kazakhstan, not sure about other countries.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

I was politely advised by a military cop in Uzbekistan not to show my "Cerveza Cusqueña" t-shirt around. I don't know whether I was more impressed by the fact that the fella knew Spanish, didn't ask for a bribe or expressed himself in a somebow broken but understandable English.

Personally I wouldn't do it. Besides, Martini tastes awful.
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.