Planning Mumbai to Moscow road trip through Central Asia

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
medhajoseph

Planning Mumbai to Moscow road trip through Central Asia

Post by medhajoseph »

Hi

Iam planning a road trip with my husband from Mumbai to Moscow in May 2014

The route we are looking at is Mumbai-Kathmandu-Nyalam-Kashgar-Osh-Tashkent-Aktobe-Ural-Samara-Moscow

I wanted help in understanding the road conditions and permits required for driving your own vehicle across this region

Any inputs in this regard will be very helpful.

Thanks Much
Medha
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Planning Mumbai to Moscow road trip through Central Asia

Post by steven »

Hi,

did you have a look at the driving pages already? Will update them soon as I am driving through the region myself as we speak.

Have a look again in a week or 2, if you have more questions then, please fire away.
;)
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

medhajoseph

Post by medhajoseph »

Thanks Steven. I have gone through the driving pages. The whole site is so informative and systematic. Great work.

Good to know you are driving through the same region, will help in getting first hand information. I wanted to know the road conditions to decide which vehicle to use. Our first choice is Land Cruiser. Which one are you using and where have you reached?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

We were driving a second-hand Toyota Hilux. Toyota is definitely the vehicle of choice for any drive through Central Asia, spare parts and mechanical knwowledge are plentiful for Toyota. I would say Land Cruiser is a reliable option.

I made it home now, didn't pass through Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan with the car though. I still have to wait a few days to connect to the internet, after which I will do a serious update to the site.
0 x

medhajoseph

Post by medhajoseph »

Thanks for the update. Will check your detailed account.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Finally got through my pile of notes on visas, border crossings and self-driving for the update. Let me know what kind of information you are still missing.
0 x

medhajoseph

Post by medhajoseph »

Hi Steve, we could not drive from Mumbai to Moscow in 2014 for some personal reasons but all the more set for June 2015. The site is now loaded with tons of information, enjoyed going thru all the details. Couple of questions for you
1) We are using 100 series LC on diesel. Getting diesel in Uzbek is not easy. Will we get to buy jerry cans in Tashkent (our first stop in Uzbek). Any reliable place you know of?
2) We are planning to take the Kungrad-Beyneu road to cross from Uzbek to Kazak. The plan is to drive from Nukus (where we could refuel) and drive to Beyneu. Considering road conditions and border crossing.....is it possible to do in one day? How much time should we consider for border crossing formalities?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi, I haven't done this road myself so honestly could not say how long it would take to drive. Also never bought diesel in Tashkent. There are some experts on the board here though. Try asking ustrasse or eurasiaoverland, they might know.
0 x

medhajoseph

Post by medhajoseph »

Ok. Cool !!
0 x

medhajoseph

Post by medhajoseph »

Hi Steve....we are starting our trip on 1st June 2015...right now we are getting our visas stamped. I just got to know that right hand drive vehicles are not allowed to enter/pass through Uzbekistan. Is that true?
If yes, is there a way out?

Medha

steven wrote:We were driving a second-hand Toyota Hilux. Toyota is definitely the vehicle of choice for any drive through Central Asia, spare parts and mechanical knwowledge are plentiful for Toyota. I would say Land Cruiser is a reliable option.

I made it home now, didn't pass through Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan with the car though. I still have to wait a few days to connect to the internet, after which I will do a serious update to the site.
0 x